Position Title : Administrative Support Assistant (75%)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 March 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Head, Meetings Secretariat (MGS) and in close cooperation with the other staff in the unit, the successful candidate will assist with logistical arrangements for IOM governing body sessions and informal consultations, as well as the production of governing body documents.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the Senior Meetings Assistant, assist with the preparations and the logistical aspects for ensuring the smooth running of IOM governing body meetings: a) Check and print participant registration forms; for IOM governing body meetings, informal consultations, working groups and workshops. Follow up with participants, as necessary; b) Enter participants’ data in the MGS database and prepare the lists of participants for the above-mentioned meetings; c) Create registration page on the UN registration system as necessary and follow-up on queries from participants; d) Prepare relevant information and guidelines for staff assisting with the registration of participants during the meetings in consultation with other MGS staff; e) Prepare the seating arrangements. Liaise with relevant external conferences services to coordinate logistical aspects in preparation for meetings; f) Provide support at the IOM registration booth and guidance to short-term staff assisting with this task, as necessary. Collect additional registration forms and update lists of participants; g) Provide assistance in the conference room as necessary for the smooth running of the event including responding to delegates’ queries and ensuring the collection of official statements; h) Provide support and guidance (whenever possible) to other departments in organizing meetings and conferences.
- In close coordination with the Administrative Assistants, provide additional support in processing governing body documents, as necessary including: a) Standard formatting of documents before editing; b) Checking formatting and layout of documents before finalization for printing.
Provide support for the electronic archiving of governing body documents from previous sessions which exist in hard copy only.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant experience; or
• Completed High school / Secondary school education with four years of relevant experience.
• Experience in an administrative support role;
• Experience in an international setting and in conference organization;
• Demonstrated ability to execute administrative tasks in a timely and accurate manner;
• Proven ability to coordinate and correspond in a clear and concise manner;
• Proven attention to details.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required and working knowledge of French or Spanish is required. Working knowledge of the other IOM official language (i.e. French or Spanish) is an advantage.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only qualified candidates residing in
Switzerland and holding a valid residence/ working permit will be considered.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.