FHI 360 has an exciting internship opportunity for someone interested in growing their skills within the international development sector. Under close supervision, interns perform entry level professional duties which will provide the opportunity for professional training in various functional areas throughout the organization. Internship assignments serve to offer practical experience and broad exposure to a global nonprofit development organization.
The Measurement and Data Intern will serve on the Strategy and Innovation with Evidence Unit team within the Office of the CEO. We facilitate organization-wide strategic planning in partnership with FHI 360 executive leadership. Led by the Head of Strategy and Principal Economist, our team includes a Senior Advisor for Measurement and Data, a Communications Specialist, and a Strategy Analyst.
Our team is supporting the implementation of FHI 360’s new 3-year strategy. This includes developing measurement tools and data, metrics, and processes for tracking company performance and impact against the strategy and deepening our understanding of thematic priority areas. The intern will support the work of Senior Advisor for Measurement and Data Senior in leading these activities by contributing research and analysis. Work will cover themes related to global inequality, health threats, and crises. Support will also include developing blog posts and social media material for the R&E Search for Evidence blog and Twitter account.
This is a paid internship.
Anticipated Duration: Fall 2023: September – December
Hours: 30-40 hours per week
Pay Rate: $18.00/hour (undergraduate) / $23.00 (masters)
Location: Hybrid: remote office & in-person (in the Washington, DC office once a week)
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Skills Gained and Learning Opportunities:
- Develop knowledge of building organization-wide measurement data and metrics;
- Gain insights into day-to-day operational activities for measurement and data processes;
- Build research, analytical, and writing skills, including publishing one or more posts on R&E Search for Evidence blog;
- Support initiatives related to FHI 360’s new 3-year strategy;
- Become familiar with new research and evidence in multiple human development sectors through reading and webinars;
- Receive shadowing, mentoring, and training opportunities with Head of Strategy/Principal Economist, Senior Advisor for Measurement and Data, Communications Specialist, and Strategy Analyst;
- Gain practical experience working with an inter-disciplinary team within a large, global nonprofit organization.
Anticipated Project(s) and Assignment Details:
The intern may contribute to various team or project activities under the direction of their supervisor in the following ways:
- Assist in conducting research or project activities as assigned by supervisor;
- Assist in developing strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific measurement and data components;
- Conduct desk reviews, landscape analyses and/or secondary data analyses;
- Identify research and data relevant to thematic priority areas in 3-year strategy;
- Contribute to project-related presentations, blogs, reports and/or manuscripts
- Assist with project-related administrative tasks, as needed.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Recent graduate (within one year of graduation date) or currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at a college or university in social science or data science or a related field of study;
- Demonstrated interest in subject area through studies, work experience, etc.;
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas;
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner;
- High attention to detail and ability to trouble-shoot problems;
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Remote office environment
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer
- Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail
- Telephone, printer, calculator, copier, PDAs and other hand-held devices.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.