IOM is a major actor in post-conflict recovery and reconstruction, and as such is heavily involved in livelihoods development and job creation programmes. IOM’s strengths lie in its field presence around the country and operational capacity to rebuild community infrastructure, conduct vocational and other trainings, providing grant funding at local level to support business development and a variety of other areas key to recovery. Crucially, lack of economic opportunity—even more than ideology—is cited as a major push factor leading to recruitment of youth by violent extremist groups. **
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission, Overall supervision of the Head, Returns and Recovery Units (RRU) for IOM Iraq and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (Economic Recovery), the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical guidance and inputs under the livelihoods and job creation pillar of IOM’s programmes supporting Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) return and community recovery / reconstruction. S/he will work in close coordination with other thematic specialists, field staff, partner agencies and government in facilitating implementation of the different projects within the livelihoods and job creation portfolio of the Returns and Recovery Unit. **
The livelihoods and job creation portfolio primarily consist of providing support to small and medium businesses through an Enterprise Development Fund (EDF) and micro-enterprises as well as individuals through the Individual Livelihoods Assistance. The EDF is a grant mechanism to drive large-scale job creation through private sector recovery. IOM is providing financial support to small and medium enterprises (SMEs) on a rolling basis across Iraq, according to market needs assessments, business plans and potential for job creation of businesses. Individual Livelihoods Assistance (ILA) programming, meanwhile, is designed to support vocational trainings as well as micro-enterprises and individuals to start new and expand their businesses with the aim of job creation and increased access to incomes.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Grant Management and Programme Implementation
Provide technical inputs for the development and implementation of appropriate methodologies and technical approaches for all job creation and livelihoods program activities. **
Support in the maintenance EDF and ILA management information system (MIS). Ensure the timely entry of all relevant information including changes made to records and approvals in the MIS. **
Work closely with RRU and other IOM colleagues in central Iraq to ensure technical aspects of the economic recovery programme are in place, including all necessary documentation, and follow up regularly on IOM economic recovery initiatives to support SMEs. **
Support the Programme Coordinator in all activities related to the management of IOM programmes to support SMEs. This includes keeping track of agreements and milestones, analysis of enterprises and individual’s capacity as well as development needs. **
Conduct regular field monitoring visits and evaluations of IOM Economic Recovery programmes. Ensure IOM economic recovery programmes lessons learnt, and good practices are documented and shared with other team members. **
In coordination with Community Engagement and M&E ensure that existing beneficiary feedback and complaint management mechanisms are effective and responsive and inform project implementation. **
Human Resource Management
Oversee central region Livelihoods Technical staff responsible for economic recovery programmes technical oversight; provide training on all related aspects of the funding process and ensure a high level of performance within the team. **
Support RRU and other IOM colleagues in central Iraq to put capacity development plans in place for the RRU central region teams based on needs assessments exercise. **
Project Planning, Monitoring and Reporting
Review progress in achieving program objectives and targets in collaboration with Central Regional Coordinators and the Programme Coordinator. **
Provide weekly updates and reporting to the RRU Programme Manager and Programme Coordinator. **
Assist the Programme Manager, Coordinators and Project Support Unit in preparing narrative reports and project proposals as required by the donor and IOM. **
Liaison, Coordination & Integration
Ensure that RRU is adequately represented in all private sector engagements, for example, liaising with Industrial Bank and public sector engagements (Ministry of Labour & Social Affairs, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Youth, Ministry of Planning, Chamber of Commerce, Chamber of Industry etc.) in the central region.
Sharing regular updates/reports with the relevant private sector actors, stakeholders and government on current and future RRU initiatives and approaches.
Ensure synergies and integration in the central region between RRU and other units for effective and complementary programming.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
• Master’s degree in Economics, Business or Public Administration, Finance, Development Studies, International Relations, Private Sector Development, Rural Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional technical experience.
Experience and Skills
• Operational experience in financial inclusion / microfinance / small business lending, SMEs, individual livelihoods assistance.
• Work experience in making grants or investments and/or field experience in developing countries.
• Experience in interventions aimed at enhancing socio-economic conditions of vulnerable populations, such as micro-finance, private sector development, local economic recovery, employment promotion, agricultural development, entrepreneurship building, vocational and technical education, and training or poverty reduction.
• Experience or understanding of development finance, public-private partnerships in developing countries, public sector financing mechanisms of the private sector, etc., is highly advantageous.
• Experience in liaising with government authorities and private sector is an added advantage, other national/international institutions and NGOs, and building effective partnerships with private sector.
• Previous working experience in the Middle East and Northern Africa region is highly advantageous. Work experience in a developing country context with local company, investment firm or start-up.
• Working knowledge of rigorous impact measurement, programme monitoring and evaluation, and cost-effectiveness analysis, commitment to evidence-based decision-making and social impact evaluation.
· Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Arabic is highly advantageous.
- Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a minimum of comfort.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
· Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).