Position: Finance Manager - OFDA / Protection and Health Assistance to Syria Together (PHAST) program
Location: Turkey – Gaziantep (with travel to Jordan)
Duration: 12 Months
Reports to: Chief of Party
Technical Reporting: WoS Finance Manager
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading non-profit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About our Country Program/ Regional Programs .
RI in the Middle East has programs in six countries - Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Yemen, with a focus on the 4 main RI sectors: Health, WASH, Education and Economic Opportunity.
Relief International currently employs 3900 staff (direct and indirect) in the region and has a range of emergency response and development programs valued at 70 million USD on an annual basis.
Relief International (RI) and its implementing partner aim to strengthen the overall health system in northwest Syria by supporting health facilities to provide lifesaving health and nutrition services to vulnerable communities. The interventions will be guided by a robust monitoring framework built on RI and its implementing partner experience operating in the Syrian context, leveraging each organization’s operational presence and networks to deliver essential services to conflict-affected communities through a coordinated and integrated approach. In addition to specialized protection services by RI that will be offered through 4 women and girls’ safe spaces (WGSS), including gender-based violence (GBV) case management, psychosocial support, life skills, and outreach activities. The Project manager will directly report to the CoP and technical line to WoS Finance Manager. He/she will support the CoP in overseeing the project finances, donor reporting, monthly and quarterly donor forecast, ensuring budget vs actuals are updated, expenses belongs to projects charged to correct budget codes, lead the project specific audits in collaboration with WoS finance Manager, conduct monthly/quarterly financial version visits of partner organize and present formal report to CoP and WoS Finance Manager. Moreover this position holder will ensure day to day collaboration and coordination with Hub based finance manager for any matters related to project finances.
PHAST PMT maintains collaborative/coordination linkages with RI and its implementing partner focal points in Turkey and RI WoS for the functions of (M&E, Finance, Safety and Security, HR, operations, Management, Protection, etc.) defined in the organogram.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Finance Manager Key functions are:
- Support the COP and WoS Finance Manager in providing strategic guidance, leadership, management and general technical oversight of the project finances, with a strong focus on ensuring donor as well as RI guidelines and standards are followed.
- Oversee the project’s management of financial functions ensuring donor/RI regulations/SoPs followed.
- Assist COP in the successful implementation of the project’s financial aspects, including timely preparation of high-quality budget forecasts, donor reports, financial statements, and management of expenses within approved budget.
- Work closely with Awards/Compliance Manager to ensure sub recipient is complying with SGA requirements and other OFDA/BHA regulations.
- Develop monthly/quarterly financial verification visits ToRs to conduct partner office verification visits to ensure compliance with RI/OFDA guidelines, visit shall be conducted in consultation with CoP and WoS finance manager and where necessary Awards/Compliance Manager would accompany based on nature of the visit. The consolidated mission report will be shared with CoP, WoS FM and other SMT members (if applicable).
- Ensure partner payment is timely accrued in NetSuite and upon submission of deliverable reports and monthly liquidation of advance payments.
- Conduct educational and training workshops for partner, project technical team to ensure they understand agreement compliance, RI finance templates, financial reporting needs and proper interpretation of budget vs actual information.
- In coordination with NWS finance manager and WoS finance manager, Draft/update necessary financial management SoPs for partners and RI to ensure smooth and compliant atmosphere within project.
- Ensure project is ever ready for any types of audits and donor compliance visits.
- Oversee the timely and accurate preparation and submission of monthly/quarterly financial statements and other cost reports to CoP/WoS Finance Manager and USAID, including providing guidance to project staff and partners regarding project over/underspending challenges.
- Ensure continuous coordination and collaboration with Hub based management and Hub Finance Manager to ensure RI monthly financial requirements towards the project management team for PHSAT are timely fulfilled. Expenses are charged to the right activity lines, and monthly BVA and projection are timely updated for CoP and WoS finance Manager review.
- Collect monthly financial report from the partner along with necessary supporting documents for review and approving the report in coordination with CoP to ensure partner is eligible to receive next advance.
- Develop project specific monthly/quarterly funds forecasts in coordination with hub based finance Manager and the partner’s finance counterpart for submission to WoS Amman office.
- Develop projections to recoup funds from OFDA/BHA.
- Maintain master budget of the project specific funds, and ensure that should feed the information to country office master budget.
- Oversee finances of sub-awardee ensuring adherence to donor, organizational, and host country policies and build capacity of partner office finance staff to become successful and sustainable quality service providers.
- Produce different financial reports concerning project activities per requirement of host government authorities for submission. Moreover, coordinate sample collection from hub finance and partner finance at time of RI external/global/donor audits in consultation with COP and WoS finance manager.
- Participate in drafting new proposals budgets if funding opportunities are aligned with PHSAT mandate, mover take lead in project specific budget modification/realignment in close coordination with NWS finance manager, partner’s finance counterpart and ensure the final version goes to WoS finance manager upon CoP sign off.
- Ensure project burn rates and spending is on track and apprisePMT, WoS FM, DCD, CD and HTL timely about project financial status, also ensure the projections and actual are aligned with program needs.
- Any other tasks and responsibilities assigned by the supervisor.
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure all people who come into contact with Relief International are as safe as possible.
Equity and Diversity commitment
- Demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of systemic diversity and cultural differences.
- Ensure that gender equity is addressed in our staffing and programming
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
This position will require a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelor/Master degree in finance, accounting, economics and business administration. Candidate with master degree or professional degrees (CA, CIMA, ACCA and CPA) will be given preference.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in a managerial role as finance, grants or compliance manager with INGOs, DFID, OFDA and USAID funded projects. However candidate with past experience of working with OFDA/USAID funded projects with proven management skills will be given preference.
- Strong knowledge USG donor rules and regulations, OFDA/USAID cost principles and eligibility and disallowed costs standards. Also good understanding of OFDA reporting requirements and past experience of managing partnership grants portfolios.
- Excellent MS excel skills required that should fulfil the requirements of producing financial analysis, master budget and master cost allocation sheets.
- Excellent financial planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a demanding workload comprised of diverse and challenging tasks and responsibilities.
- Proven track record of active contribution to a senior management team, and providing strategic support across multiple sectors and/or regions linked with finance related responsibilities.
- Extensive experience with INGOs with increasing responsibilities including a proven experience of establishing and running the finance/grants/partnership projects will be considered an asset.
- Past experience working in Middle east or other conflict areas and good understanding of Syria situation will be considered an asset.
- strong capacity for attention to detail, problem solving, and analysis of trends.
- Computer literate (i.e. WORD, advanced Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer, financial systems).
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Strong English skills, speaking, reading, writing is required;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
- Demonstrated ability to work and manage across multi-functional units
- Organized and able to independently manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines
- Proven ability to understand, streamline and automate complex processes
- Cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation