Position Title : Project Manager
Duty Station : Boa Vista, Brazil
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 July 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Senior Emergency Coordinator in Boa Vista, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing projects and activities implemented by IOM Brazil in relation to the influx of Venezuelans in Northern Brazil.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Plan and manage the overall project’s implementation in a timely manner, monitoring its financial, administrative and technical aspects, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements.
Ensure monitoring of project progress, specifically aimed at increasing effectiveness, and take appropriate action.
Develop and maintain implementation strategies, work and expenditure plans to ensure timely implementation and achievements of programme outputs and objectives.
Supervise all staff assigned to the project, as well as consultants recruited to support and/or undertake specific activities.
Establish and maintain strong partnerships with Government entities, implementing partners, UN agencies and other stakeholders involved in the emergency response in the project’s target regions.
Monitor project implementation and prepare progress and other reports and ensure proper information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM, the project’s donors and other stakeholders.
Identify new project possibilities in relation to expressed governmental needs, donors’ priorities and in line with IOM’s mandate and strategy.
Represent IOM at relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM’s image and activities.
Undertake verification and monitoring site visits and duty travel as required relating to project coordination, liaison with counterparts, problem-solving, and adaptation of activities to the different operational contexts as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management, including managing economic integration, ethical recruitment and other relevant or related projects with a Government or UN agency, or a regional or international organization;
• Good knowledge of project management, monitoring and evaluation principles and practices;
• Familiarity with budget/financial administration; proven resources management skills.
• Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities;
• Excellent written and verbal communication and negotiation skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Portuguese, French, and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.