Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
The NORAD End Child Marriage Project, will work to ensure that children, adolescents girls and boys aged 10-18 years and young women and men 19 to 24 years old stay in school, are protected against child marriage and empowered to enjoy their sexual reproductive health rights in societies where gender equality is realised.Young women and men will also be reached with economic empowerment activities to boost their savings, income earning capacities and economic security. This is a five year project funded by NORAD and implemented in the four districts of Nebbi, Pakwach, Zombo and Adjumani.
The education project coordinator will play a key role in providing technical leadership, management and oversight for the education related components in the implementation of the NORAD end child marriage project- implemented by plan international Uganda covering the four districts above.
Dimensions of the Role
- Working with partners, support strengthening of the local government structures, school governance structures and systems to establish, and enhance the delivery of quality Primary Education and Secondary services through project target schools, communities, and other partners
- Support establish and strengthen operations of children led activities through school clubs.
- Working with partners, facilitate delivery of Sexual Reproductive Health Rights information awareness, knowledge and skills in 100 primary and 20 secondary schools.
- Working with partners, facilitate delivery of youth economic empowerment interventions including VSLA and Enterprise skills development training for 300 youth groups with 9000 members in 100 communities (Parishes) from the 4 districts of Adjumani, Pakwach Nebbi and Zombo
- Support targeted Primary school structures and communities to provide quality education as per government policies and guidelines including enrolment of out of school children particularly girls
- Support timely and efficient implementation of all the project activities in a bid to contribute to increased enrollment and retention of out of school children, especially girls and marginalized children in the target schools. The Education Project Coordinator will ensure the quality, equity, and safety of all children in delivery of project activities in their respective districts
- Responsible for the delivery of the Education, SRHR and YEE component of NORAD project results in accordance with Plan International’s values and behaviours, including gender transformative outcomes and Safeguarding of all Children.
ROLES and Accountabilities:
Working in Close consultation and with supervision from the project manager, the Project Coordinator Education performs the following roles to implement the Education component of this project:
- Provide specialised professional technical support for implementation the education, SRHR and YEE activities under this project.
- Support in developing and implementing weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual project work plans and budgets.
- Prepare and submit to project manager, high quality activity, weekly, quarterly and annual narrative reports for all completed activities.
- Support effective coordination and management of partnerships as well as building relations with all other actors involved in the implementation of this project to achieve desired results
- Coordinate effectively with other thematic project coordinators and other staffs supporting the implementation of this project and leverage efforts, build synergy, team work and deliver high quality project results
- Support tracking, monitoring, evaluation, documentation and reporting of project outputs, outcomes, impact or results and changes in close collaboration with MER Coordinator.
- Facilitate use of data and evidence from monitoring and evaluation system to inform decision making to strengthen processes and implementation of the NORAD project
- Support effective project budget utilization, management and monitoring for activities directly implemented by Plan staff and partners.
- Support timely accountability for funds used to implement project in line with Plan international accounting policies and procedures and donor requirements.
- Assist in effective management of project resources including procurements in accordance with Plan International Uganda policies and guidelines and in accordance with grant conditions.
- Support with representation in meetings with partners, government line ministries and other stakeholders at district and national level project related activities in close consultation with the Project manager.
- Assist with project risk management in the implementation of the project to minimise their occurrence and possible effects on the project in line with Plan International Risk Management policy and project risk mitigation measures
- Ensure compliance with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy and guidelines in all project activities.
High Level Contact:
Internally: This position reports to the project manager, NORAD End Child Marriage project