Manages the overall day to day operation of the Payroll Department by performing the successful processing of the bi-weekly payroll, the timely submission of payroll reports, and timely payments of payroll taxes. Resolves payroll issues and problems, authorizes vendor payments, resolves Workday system issues, reconciles general ledger accounts, updates Workday payroll tables, prepares and transmits taxes and reports, ensures employee changes are entered into the payroll system, processes W-2s, and works with auditors as needed. Conducts training for payroll staff and coordinates with HR management on company initiatives that affect the payroll function. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Manages staff to ensure payroll practices and procedures are compliant with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Resolves Workday system issues and problems by working with Workday programmers.
- Attends Workday meetings and provides recommendations for items impacting payroll.
- Provides changes and updates to Workday payroll tables.
- Resolves payroll issues and problems with employees and vendors.
- Audits timesheets for 1300 employees, for accurate coding and payments to the employees. (Proficient excel skills are a must, to include pivot tables!)
- Resolves discrepancies with 403b matches with vendor to ensure accurate calculations for employee and employer contributions.
- Trains, plans, and assigns work to payroll staff to ensure problems are resolved, processes are improved, and client/customer satisfaction is obtained.
- Coordinates and works with auditors on payroll related items.
- Stays abreast of current federal and state laws regarding payroll practices and procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with payroll systems and managing payroll functions.
- Excellent knowledge of current tax and payroll laws and 403B compliance laws.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management and technical skills.
- Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Works on problems of diverse scope that require analysis of the situation and review of identifiable factors.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Exercises judgment within defined practices and procedures in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining results.
- Decisions made generally have significant impact on the department and operations of the organization.
- Manages and trains staff to achieve departmental and strategic goals of the company.
- Provides solutions and recommendations to management to improve processes or systems to ensure customer satisfaction and compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Typically reports to a Director.
- Bachelor's Degree or its equivalent years of experience in Finance, Business Administration, Human Resource Management or related field.
- Certification as a Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
- Requires 5 years experience, ideally 8+ years, with payroll practices, procedures, and systems; preferably within an international NGO.
- Experience running payroll for 1000+ employees and direct management of a team; experience managing remote employees advantageous
- Prior work experience in a non- governmental organization (NGO); advantageous if experience includes project start up in new states or countries and/or acquisitions.
- Highly preferred: prior work experience with Workday Payroll Systems.
- Knowledge of Deltek systems advantageous
- Proven success in finding creative and compliant solutions to ensure tight deadlines are met
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
- Less than 10%
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.