FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an anticipated USAID/Jordan Community Health and Nutrition Program. The purpose of the Community Health and Nutrition Program is to improve the nutritional status of children under five and pregnant and lactating women in target areas. The activity seeks to support child and maternal health and nutrition status by improving breastfeeding practices, introducing appropriate complementary foods at the right time, and ensuring appropriate child spacing through postpartum family planning and continuation of modern forms of contraception.
The Community Health and Nutrition Program’s DCOP reports to and provides back-up and support to the COP. S/he is the Acting COP when the COP is absent and is the project’s secondary point of contact to USAID and to government ministries. The DCOP provides technical leadership, strategic guidance, and oversight for the technical areas of nutrition with a focus on the infant and young child and post-partum family planning while also supporting cross-cutting themes of community engagement, social behavior change, gender and social inclusion, capacity building, government relationship coordination, and other strategic project activities. S/he will work alongside technical specialists in developing strategic partnerships with Government of Jordan (GOJ) ministries, other USAID-funded projects, civil society actors, and the private sector. The position will be resident based in Amman, Jordan. Employment is contingent upon successful award of the Community Health and Nutrition project to FHI 360, as well as USAID approval of the finalist. Local candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight of project activities related to optimal breastfeeding practices, introduction of appropriate complementary foods at the right time, and appropriate child spacing through postpartum family planning, and continuation of modern forms of contraception;
- Work with COP, technical leads and overall project team to develop annual work plans, monthly and quarterly progress reports;
- Manage and support technical staff and local and international STTAs to achieve goals and ensure completion of programs on schedule and within budget;
- Work with technical specialists in developing strategic partnerships with GOJ ministries, other USAID-funded projects, NGOs, local stakeholders and the private sector;
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts, implementing partners’ technical staff, and other FHI 360 departments and projects;
- Provide guidance, training, and mentorship to staff on different aspects related to their professional development and to achieve project goals;
- Work in close collaboration with senior finance and administrative staff to ensure that activities are implemented on schedule and within budget; and
- Serve as back-up to the COP, work as Acting COP in the COP’s absence, and support COP in donor requested tasks and deliverables.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in the development sector, preferably public health, nutrition, community health, or a related field;
- At least 8+ years of progressively increasing responsibility in managing USAID funded health projects with a focus in one or more of the following technical areas: maternal, newborn, child health, nutrition, and/or family planning projects;
- Proven technical knowledge in nutrition, maternal, newborn, child health and family planning and in relationship to the cross-cutting objectives of the project;
- Appropriate managerial and administrative experience to be able to fill in for the CoP in his/her absence; and
- Proven written and oral presentation skills in English required; Arabic fluency highly preferred.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.