This is a temporary assignment for 90 days. Candidates with immediate availability and current/former Mercy Corps experience are highly encourage to apply.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The NW Syria program operates in a remote management context, and forms part of the broader Mercy Corps Syria architecture. The HR Manager in a newly dedicated Management role that supports the vast HR needs for our NW Syria program. The position sits within the HR team but takes daily guidance and prioritization from the NWS Director of Programs.
General Position Summary
The Human Resources Manager in emergencies will support day to day HR management and reinforce HR policies, processes and management related to emergency context interventions. They will support the HR Director in ensuring timely service delivery for NW Syria teams, and timely support, guidance and counsel to management and team members.
Essential Job Responsibilities
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Work closely with HR and NW Syria management to ensure HR services are provided on time, with high quality and compliant with policies and manuals.
- Support revised planning processes, to ensure HR team has visibility on programmatic and operational priorities and can plan, anticipate and resource HR support, in advance.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps' Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Ensures management and behavioral issues are addressed according to Mercy Corps policies and procedures, at the discretion of the HR Director.
- Provides support to all managers and supervisors through facilitating workshops or supporting knowledge transfer for priority topics.
- Contribute to the development of the department, by supporting or leading on specific projects.
- Support in developing HR policies and procedures that are adapted for emergency interventions and meet the daily need of the NW Syria program modality.
- Lead the HR action plan for emergency preparedness.
- Develop the capacity of the team, especially as relates emergency preparedness and emergency response.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
POLICIES AND MANUALS
- Identify gaps and propose solutions.
RECRUITMENT, SELECTION AND PLACEMENT
- Ensure emergency recruitment procedures are in place and understood.
- Provide capacity building on recruitment in remote and emergency context to HR team but also to the Management team of NWS.
- Support the revised HR team composition for NWS and ensure communication protocols are reflective of the revised capacity.
- Support in the roll out of a regular onboarding process for NW Syria field team.
- Identify an onboarding process for emergency recruitment / scale up.
Senior HR Officer, NWS (who supervisors a HR Assistant).
Reports Directly To: HR Director
Works Directly With: Director of Programs NWS, Operations Manager, PAQ Manager, Security Coordinator, Senior Finance Officer, all departments, all NW Syria staff based in both Amman and Syria.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant field, masters preferred
- 5 years' experience in Human Resources Management, with at least 3 years' experience at Management level, within the Humanitarian NGO sector.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in the Middle East and in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem- solving independently and cooperatively.
- Experience in leading a HR department in emergency interventions.
- Experience working in remote management an advantage.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team in a sensitive environment.
The individual will have a solid understanding of working in emergencies. They will have a strong understanding of HR best practice, ideally with Mercy Corps experience, in order to quickly achieve results and understand priorities. They will be comfortable engaging with individuals at all levels within the country program and will do so with a clear and effective communication. They will be able to transfer knowledge to team members and lead planning that runs across functions as relates to people.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Amman, Jordan, but is not an accompanied post. Jordan is middle- income country with excellent education, medical, and other facilities in the capital Amman. Jordan is a very safe country with excellent communications, transportation, and housing infrastructure. Although neighbouring countries continue to experience political unrest, Jordan has been a stable monarchy for over 30 years and the destination preference for many people from the Middle East to relax or gain access to available services. In recent years, events unfolding in Syria and Iraq have increased local concerns over the continued stability of Jordan but to date there have been no major incidents.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.