OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of the WHO Country Office is to support the Government and health authorities in strengthening health systems in Aden, addressing emergency and public health programmes and supporting and promoting research for health.The mission of the WHO Country Office is to support the Government and health authorities in strengthening health systems in Aden, addressing emergency and public health programmes and supporting and promoting research for health.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The incumbent will provide technical expertise in planning, monitoring, evaluating, coordinating the environmental health interventions with a focus on provision of safe drinking water, adequate sanitation, hygiene, and infection control (with focus on safe and dignified burial of contagious bodies, medical waste management). Provide technical advice and on-site support to develop national technical and institutional capacities for the implementation of primary prevention interventions, particularly those related to safety of drinking water, safe sanitation, waste management, and chemical management..
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
1. Conduct rapid assessment for WASH (water, hygiene, sanitation, waste management), vector control and infection control inventory and needs in the health facilities and for the health activities required in response to the emergency incident.
2. Follow up and report country progress on WASH activities within the health facilities and for health activities. Identify gaps and propose remedial actions.
3. Provide technical expertise, and when required, onsite support to the health partners on WASH, coordinating and proactively participate in the design and implementation of plans to build up or rehabilitate emergency health facilities.
4. Provide onsite support to ensure applicability and appropriate implementation of the recommended infection control activities in the health facilities and for the health activities supported by the WHO, specifically for medical waste management, safe and dignified burial of infectious bodies, health staff and patients protection.
5. Ensure that WASH, vector control and infection control set up in the health facilities and for health activities are conducted and set according to Sphere and WHO Standards.
4. Secure water, hygiene, sanitation and infection control for health activities within the WASH cluster, providing implementation guidance.
5. Conduct required training for MOH staff and WHO partners to build up local competences and facilitate the compliance with the WASH standards for all health activities.
6. Draft required evaluation or situation reports to ensure appropriated communication with OSL lead and all related technical experts.
7. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisors
Essential: First university degree in engineering, health of humanitarian logistics or other related field with specialization in water and sanitation.
Desirable: Masters level or above in public health water, sanitation and hygiene. Degree or training in computer applications in water and sanitation project design and related database systems.
Essential: At least five years of related experience, at the national and international levels, in the design and implementation of water and sanitation assessment and/or the design and management of related projects in emergency situations. Experience in developing and promoting collaborative actions with national authorities.
Desirable: Some experience or a sound knowledge of WHO mandate and goals or in UN organizations/agencies, international institutions, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or NGOs.
Skills:Demonstrated knowledge of emergency response situations in the field of water and sanitation with proven ability to identify and solve technical problems in difficult circumstances. Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with proven ability to elaborate and implement projects. - Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to promote cohesive actions and convince officials with tact and diplomacy. - Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present factual information. - Knowledge of WHO, the UN System or NGO work in the field of response relief
WHO CompetenciesTeamwork Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences