About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been meeting the needs of conflict-affected communities inside Syria since 2012. Mercy Corps Syria currently operates from Jordan, Syria and Lebanon with an experienced team of staff and partners who are supported and led by a Country Team based in Amman that ensures consistent, technical and quality driven programming. Mercy Corps implements a range of activities aimed at supporting positive coping strategies by addressing the basic needs of vulnerable families while strengthening opportunities to generate income, increasing access to livelihoods creating protective environments, and providing associated services and enabling social cohesion through our safe, protected, productive and peaceful community's framework.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps Syria Country Office is seeking a Support Services Director (SSD) for North West Syria (NWS) to provide proactive leadership for effective and timely delivery of humanitarian aid to conflict affected people. The SSD sets the priorities for the NWS Operational Strategy, and is accountable for their delivery. Mercy Corps NWS program leadership sits in Amman, Jordan, supporting 4 field offices in Idlib and Western Aleppo, and has a presence through partners in Northern Aleppo. Reporting to the Area Director NWS, the SSD shall provide coordination across the Logistics, Operations, Admin, Human Resources functions and collaboration with Security and Financial Management teams. The SSD shall work with Amman-based and field-led operations apparatus to consolidate the remote management systems that facilitate the delivery of support services. They will ensure that the NWS team is supported, prepared, and resourced to deliver high quality humanitarian programming both directly and in partnership with local and diaspora Syrian organizations at scale. The role requires a focus on systems building with an ability to own the change management that accompanies such a process.
Essential Job Responsibilities
**Strategy, Leadership & Vision
- As a senior member of the NWS team, contribute and provide acting leadership in setting the response strategy and defining Mercy Corps priorities and plans.
- As a member of the NWS senior leadership, set an organisational culture that reflects Mercy Corps values, promotes accountability, high performance and encourages learning, creativity and innovation
- Set the strategic Operations direction priorities for the NWS hub, and deliver change according to clear milestones.
- Work with Area Director NWS in the regular preparation and roll out of operational and support service components of the NWS humanitarian response plan & contingency planning;
- Work across support service, MEL and Program departments in SoP/policy development, drafting, field testing and roll-out, for the consolidation of NWS's remote management approach with the relevant department heads (HR, Ops, Finance, PaQ, etc.);
- Work collaboratively across departments to ensure that processes and measurements are in place to monitor evidence building and strategic impact of change.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
Support Service Leadership
- Work closely with the Area Director NWS and the NWS management teams to ensure all operational departments are streamlined and working in close collaboration with Programs & MEL to facilitate smooth, efficient and effective implementation;
- Ensure regular coordination between each Program, together with Finance, HR, and Operations take place, as well as internally within the Operations team;
- Work closely with the Directors of Operations, Finance, and HR to provide supervisory/performance feedback to the NWS support team members to ensure that support systems and structures are in place and compliant with relevant internal and external policies and procedures;
- Uphold Mercy Corps' Zero Tolerance policy to corruption and work closely with support leads to monitor opportunities for fraud, conflict of interest, or other behavior presenting legal ramifications for Mercy Corps;
- Maintain systems to ensure efficient and transparent capture of program operational data for decision-making and timely and informative internal and external reporting.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of procurements, with relevant and accurate procurement planning between program and procurement teams;
- Ensure fleet management actors are able to deliver the fluid and safe movement of staff members and goods and services in the field;
- Ensure that commodities management is effectively processed according to current and future program needs.
- Provide oversight to sub-award partner project-level operational planning and systems.
- Recognize the high level of donor scrutiny imposed on Syrian programming and ensure continuing effective, transparent and responsive compliance mechanisms are in place;
- Maintain oversight of overall NWS Operational budgets ensuring appropriate allocation of resources to meet program objectives; and
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations, including risk mitigation policies and SOPs.
- Lead, contribute to, and facilitate the development of relevant standard operating procedures (SOPs), policies, guidelines and best practices, to ensure Mercy Corps is adapting to the evolving level of risk associated with fragile contexts.
Human Resources Oversight
- Maintain oversight on HR administrative and payroll processes and their adaptation to the needs of the NW, facilitate cross-functional engagement to address shortcomings where required;
- Identify gaps in general HR management, policies and manuals, as relates to NWS and contribute to their revision, ensuring close engagement and understanding of broader HR department objectives; and
- Support the revision of structural changes, management processes and platforms to ensure that teams work cross-functionally to achieve commonly understood goals;
- Work with the Senior HR Officer to define NWS HR priorities.
- Maintain oversight of access provisions to ensure Mercy Corps' continued ability to access our most vulnerable and hard-to-reach beneficiaries.
- Regularly review the Humanitarian Access Team and other Advisors' analysis of security and its outlook in Syria and ensure that planning is consistent with them.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies and ensure necessary mitigations are followed.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
NWS Operations Manager, NWS Procurement Coordinator ,Commodities Manager, Partner Operations Coordinator, NWS HR Senior Officer
Reports Directly To: Director of Program/Area Director NWS
Works Directly With: Emergency Program Manager NWS, PAQ Manager NWS, Operations Director, Budget & Finance Analysis, Senior Compliance Coordinator, Senior HR Management, HR Director, Security Director
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in relevant field required, MA/S preferred;
- A minimum of 6 years field experience setting up and managing Programmatic Support systems with humanitarian NGOs with supervisory responsibilities, particularly in complex environments.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Experience of working in remote management settings preferred.
- Knowledge of donor regulations including USAID and DFID regulations.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills
- Outstanding analytical and strategic thinking skills, with a focus on results and impact;
- Excellent oral and written English skills required, proficiency in Arabic preferred.
The successful Manager will combine exceptional technical skills and experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships. S/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict context. S/he will have an outstanding ability to design and provide technical oversight of innovative operational systems within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the area. S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills. The successful candidate will be able to provide technical oversight to large relief programs in an austere environment. S/he will be focused on capacity building of national staff, have strong operations support skills, good information management skills and maintain a sense of humour.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Amman with no field travell.This role is accompanied. Housing is in individual housing in Amman. Personnel in this location are expected to follow all Mercy Corps security protocols, which may change from time to time, relevant to the prevailing risk environment. Good medical services are available. City electricity is available in Amman and running water is reliable also. Internet connectivity and communication is reliable in most locations. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues. Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.