Job title Senior Technical Advisor, Self-Care
Reports to: Director, Strategy Who we are
We're Population Services International (PSI). We strive to make it easier for people living in the developing world to lead healthy lives and plan the families they desire by making quality health products, services and information more affordable and accessible. We use our social marketing DNA and expertise to help shape functioning consumer-powered health market systems where quality, affordable care is closer to people's communities and homes, accelerating progress toward Universal Health Coverage.
There are over 8,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We're a diverse group with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from medical professionals to music business entrepreneurs- all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI is looking for an experienced, dynamic Senior Technical Advisor for Self-Care. This is an exciting, new cross-cutting position at PSI, representing the boldest expression of our consumer-powered healthcare vision, In this role, you'll be responsible for proactively leading and coordinating PSI's technical, research and programmatic self-care portfolio. You'll interact and share learning between and beyond multiple projects and teams at PSI that deliver elements of self-care, from whole projects dedicated to HIV self-testing or DMPA-SC self-injection, to large programs that may have HPV DNA self-sampling as a smaller sub set of the work, through to advocacy projects that are focused at a national or global level on advancing self-care across multiple health areas. You will be the thread that can bring all these together and make the whole much more than the sum of the parts! You will also advise country teams on deliberate and systematic ways to advance self-care programs in such a way that has impact at country level but also enhances global knowledge on self-care.
You'll provide leadership for self-care strategy, leveraging and supporting the many leaders alongside you in this space, you'll lead relevant new business development, strategic partnerships and external engagement, representing PSI on technical working groups, task force committees, external meetings and conferences. You'll drive PSI's strategic thinking on what needs to be done to maximize quality self-care and its contribution to UHC.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive technical strategy for self-care interventions, outlining 1) “for who, when, and where” self-care is most effective and appropriate and 2) develop or support relevant implementation frameworks and guidance that help implementers of self-care programs, MoHs or other stakeholders to deliver quality, sustainable, increasingly integrated, self-care
- You will provide deliverables and value to the three projects currently direct funding this position, a contribution that includes:
- Provide technical guidance and leadership on the development and dissemination of self-care technologies and approaches as well as the role of new technologies in shaping self-care markets across PSI's global network, noting that the guidance and leadership sought is often not only about one intervention, but about how to adopt a consumer powered yet health systems/market based approach to self-care, often across multiple interventions and health areas
- Guided by a drive to show thought leadership, write blogs, papers, articles, presentations and convene stakeholders in such a way that advances the self-care community of practice and self-care as an approach to healthcare and UHC
- Serve as a working member of the Self-care Trailblazers Group - both the advocacy and technical working groups (a group of organizations convened by PSI, committed to advancing quality self-care for sexual and reproductive health) and support these groups with agreed specific deliverables on a case by case basis
- Co-chair PSI's internal self-care working group and engage with the primary healthcare team as a core member.
- Work in partnership with PSI's Evidence team and other PSI partners in the self-care space (such as Jhpiego, FHI360, Imperial College, UK) to build, deepen, and share the self-care evidence base
- Oversee and coordinate the development, roll out and review of quality assurance for self-care, in collaboration with the Global Medical Director and the Quality Agile Team, including protocols, quality assurance standards, and ensure these are aligned with global standards and best practices.
- In partnership with project and Evidence teams, maintain an overview of and coordinate where applicable the development, roll out and review of digital health/marketing in support of for self-care
- More general contributions include:
- Lead fundraising efforts for self-care programs, working closely with PSI's country teams and fundraising teams across the organization.
- Strengthen the capacity of country teams to develop, implement, adapt and evaluate self-care interventions through remote and in-country technical support.
- Identify, develop, and disseminate relevant program design, implementation, best practices, technologies, and monitoring and research information for self-care interventions, working closely with the evidence and digital health teams
- Collaborate with and support PSI's Global Business Systems teams to manage routine data collection and reporting; support country teams to analyze and monitor data for improved decision making.
- Represent PSI in international and US domestic fora including inter-agency technical working groups and task forces focusing on self-care, conferences, and meetings.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other PSI teams/projects (e.g. Market Groups, Quality Assurance, Health Area Teams, Marketing, Evidence, Digital, Global Projects) to develop and disseminate self-care-related examples of case studies, journal publications, conference abstracts, and presentations via various media channels. Qualifications
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently but thrive across a range of cross-functional teams. You believe in drawing out significant expertise at PSI and beyond to co-create strategy using on-the-ground insights
Trust: You trust that your manager and team(s) will support you and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates. And you trust in your own and others ability that over time, all the many threads of self-care programming can be made into something larger, greater and more sustainable. You have the patience, persistence and willingness to navigate the uncertainty this requires
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous; you don't let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren't afraid to speak up and speak your mind, but you are also open to other insights and viewpoints - this position needs somebody that a lot of people trust and engage with, inside and outside of PSI
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You're independent and a free thinker, but you're committed to PSI's success, strategy and direction.
- Relevant master's or doctoral degree (MPH, MD, PhD, ScD)
- At least 10 years of work experience in service delivery, operations research, and/or fundraising,
- At least two years of experience working overseas in a developing country.
- Fluency in English required, and proficiency in French, Portuguese or Spanish an advantage
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills and ability to work well across multiple teams.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
The successful candidate will be confident, articulate and persuasive; a proactive self-starter and creative thinker with the ability to effectively lead, inspire and collaborate; have excellent communication, presentation, analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and writing skills; and bring a passion for self-care to the position. This role requires a high degree of emotional intelligence and agility as it requires multiple matrixed reporting lines.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.