Location: New York Headquarters- with initial virtual work**
Reports to: Vice President, Mass Markets - International
Direct Reports: Leads the USA Mass Markets team, 20+ colleagues**
Department: External Relations
Salary: Highly competitive salary with interesting benefit package**
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.**
IRC's External Relations department is responsible for the global delivery of the International Rescue Committee’s private sector resources (financially contributing circa USD220m per annum, as well as key partnerships and influence that support our mission), and plays an important strategic role in the creation of IRC’s brand, awareness and support for its advocacy goals.
IRC´s Mass Market department manages a portfolio of around 65million USD, of which 57 million USD come from the USA. There are high aims to grow this income with strong investment in sustainer donor acquisition.
The Senior Director, USA Mass Markets reports to the VP Mass Markets (International) and partners with the Marketing & Communications teams to develop a strategy for mass market revenue in the USA, having autonomous responsibility and accountability for income growth of the Mass Market USA Program (c. 57million USD). In this role, you will deliver on that strategy with the intent of driving large scale awareness and income growth through best in class marketing and supporter engagement.**
You will be IRC USA’s mass market lead architect in the work of telling IRC’s story to private sector actors, using tools and content which will help IRC to stand out as a remarkable change and impact agent in the humanitarian space.
The Senior Director, USA Mass Markets will provide forward-thinking leadership to build creative, multifaceted and market-sensitive activities, campaigns, and operations. Likewise, you will be in charge of delivering sustainable growth in IRC supporters from a mixture of channels. An emphasis on building a growing body of supporters committed to our goals through monthly giving is critical. You will collaborate with our Marketing and Communications units to craft plans that will grow our digital presence. In addition, you will work in close partnership with directors in other international markets and will be part of the broader External Relations teams.
- Work collaboratively to provide strategic leadership across the department and wider IRC; role modeling positive, efficient, and data-focused decision-making;
- Ensuring strategic direction for the USA mass market outputs;
- Building campaigns and supporter journey’s that are compelling and position IRC as a market leader in this space;
- Act as a senior leader within IRC's external relations team, working reciprocally as part of a matrixed global effort to drive positive culture change;
- Support ways of working that create ideal conditions for creative and digital innovation, allowing us to cut through in a crowded market space;
- Supporting, coaching and encouraging staff agreement to the key principles of high quality, rapid response digital engagement;
- Strategize and deliver an ambitious sustainer giving recruitment strategy, including the launch of a new sustainer product that will attract public support;
- Lead strategic direction and ensure high quality and data-led supporter care, development, and upgrade supporter retention;
- Collaborate on IRC brand definition and growing brand awareness - including the championing of the IRC brand, delivery of an IRC brand marketing strategy, and developing groundbreaking tools for staff;
- Provide strong financial and workforce direction to ensure clear marketing budgetary and staff resource management and accountability with a focus on positive staff engagement and the best use of resources;
- Lead the USA Mass Markets team, of 20+ colleagues, with dedication and integrity to our culture and core values.
- Undergraduate degree required and preference for Master’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- 12+ years of experience in results-oriented fundraising or marketing environments with leadership on digital growth and transformation programs strongly preferred;
- Deep understanding of the USA fundraising marketplace with a strong track record in the delivery of successful marketing campaigns for non-profits;
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Proven track record of using analytics to influence decision-making and build positive relationships;
- Good leader and people manager with a track record of success in leading high performing teams.
- Well-honed digital skills and preferable with experience in digital fundraising
- Strong communication and relationship building skills are essential;
- A high level of energy, self-confidence, initiative, and follow-through;
- Ability to multi-task in response to shifting priorities;
- Commitment to respect and maintain confidentiality of donor information;
- Language skills: English fluency is essential