Short Vacancy Notice Open to Internal and External Candidates ROWCA-HR-20-022
Position Title:Senior Communication Assistant**
Duty Station:Dakar, Senegal
Classification:General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment:Temporary, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:A soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For all IOM vacancies, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of IOM’s Regional Media and Communications Officer, and in coordination with the Regional Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Specialist, the successful candidate will assist with aspects of IBM and the regional office (RO) communications and dissemination activities and will be responsible for curating and editing content, for producing high quality multimedia content to promote the project and for disseminating the content both regionally and internationally in line with IOM and donors’ visibility requirements.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Compile and present information to contribute to the development of communication strategies through traditional, social and creative means.
Write posts, updates and information material for the unit’s and IOM’s regional social media presence and ensure its timely and efficient publication and distribution of media content on IOM media channels, websites, social media etc.
Prepare preliminary editing of reports and publications.
Provide logistical and administrative coordination for the implementation of communication activities and events.
Assist the development and delivery of audio-visual content and ensure all multimedia content and stories have the requisite declarations of informed consent signed and filed prior to publication.
Provide specialized assistance in the development and dissemination of multimedia and multilingual materials; the creation of social media content, and other communications tools.
Coordinate with communications country focal points for successful and timely publication of project materials (brochures, reports, fact sheets, profiles, posters, briefing papers, photo essays);
Monitor the compliance with specific donor visibility requirements and assist the development of standardized communication templates and tools for the missions.
Monitor media including TV, radio, print, social, etc. to identify and document relevant information, comments and trends.
Draft project updates for IOM’s bi-weekly press briefing notes, website and social media and other media outlets as requested.
Produce content in the form of human-interest stories from the field, by gathering photographs and video clips.
Undertake duty travel as required.
Perform such other related duties as may be assigned for the impact evaluation of the project.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Sciences, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with 4 years of relevant professional experience; or
· Completed high school degree, with 6 years of relevant professional experience.
· Extensive work experience in international journalism and public information;
· Experience in dealing with socially relevant topics;
· Experience in dealing with International Institutions and Organisations (UN, etc.);
· Demonstrated high competency as a writer, editor in both French and English;
· Experience with communications campaigns.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production is an advantage.
Fluency in French and English is required. Working knowledge of other local languages of West and Central Africa is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.