At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS iDeas Lab is currently seeking candidates for a full-time, paid summer 2023 research internship running from late June through August. CSIS interns mostly work downtown at our office in DC, but some flexibility is offered to work remotely part of the time. All candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
The intern will be paid an hourly rate of $16.10–18.10, commensurate with experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Compiling research briefs and literature reviews for fellows and research staff
• Observing or listening to virtual events and writing event summaries
• Researching and writing on issues related to China
• Drafting research memos and notes in support of research projects
• Assisting in collecting and analyzing primary and secondary source documents
• Completing other minor administrative tasks
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Completion or near completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher in affairs, political science, or a related field
• Minimum of a 3.5 GPA on a U.S. scale or equivalent
• Strong demonstrated interest in and knowledge of China
• Demonstrated research skills
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• Zest for challenging assignments that demand creativity
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resumé, a writing sample of up to five double-spaced pages, and all college transcripts at https://careers.csis.org/. Writing samples should demonstrate the ability to research and write policy-relevant work on the region. Two letters of recommendation should also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.