Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)A (least hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate TypeInternship
Target Start Date2023-09-12
Job Posting End DateSeptember 20, 2023
Terms of ReferenceTerms of Reference
Private Sector Partnerships Service, Malaysia
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full-time internship with the Private Sector Partnerships service under the Division of External Relations in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Established in December 1950, UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for asylum seekers, refugees, returnees, internally displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. UNHCR currently operates in over 130 countries, using its long expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: PSP Fundraising Intern
Duty Station: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Duration: 3 months
Expected start date: 1st September 2023
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, launched Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) activities in Malaysia in 2017 with the aim to secure financial contributions from individual donors, corporations, and foundations. The development of this market was taken to broaden the organization’s supporter base and establish a sustainable source of income from the private sector within Malaysia. Ultimately, this will enable UNHCR to offer even greater support to refugees and other persons of concern, currently benefiting over 180,000 refugees in Malaysia.
As of 2022, UNHCR Malaysia has garnered the support of over 50,000 individual donors, a significant majority of whom contribute on a monthly basis. The Donor Recruitment program involves engaging in face-to-face fundraising efforts that compellingly present UNHCR's mission to the public and seek financial support from individual donors to support UNHCR programs across Malaysia and globally. In response to the growing number of supporters, PSP Malaysia also introduced a Donor Loyalty programme in 2020, focusing on fostering strong donor relations, cultivating loyalty, and supporting the donor development program.
This position will take up duties arises from donor recruitment and donor loyalty activities. The incumbent's role, in relation to this requirement, is to support the expansion of UNHCR PSP programme in Malaysia, making use of all possible opportunities that may arise through various fundraising activities.
Duties and responsibilities
Fundraising and Donor Recruitment Programme (75%)
• Assist in monitoring, analyse, and consolidate donor recruitment data from external agencies to ensure all targets and key performance indicators are met or exceeded, as well as achieving optimal quality assurance.
• Assist and support the expansion of the donor recruitment program through research and development.
• Assist in coordinating and developing training materials, as well as creative assets for fundraising use.
Donor Loyalty Programme (20%)
• Assist in responding to donor inquiries through existing donor care platforms (email and Facebook messenger), as well as other Donor Loyalty activities.
• Support with other ad-hoc tasks and coordination needed from PSP Malaysia
Minimum qualifications required
In order to be considered for an internship, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
• Be either a recent graduate (having completed their studies within two years of applying) or a current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by IAU/UNESCO; and
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of UNHCR.
Desirable qualifications and skills
• Familiar with direct sales/fundraising and customer service oriented
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office 360 (Excel, Words, PowerPoint and Outlook)
It is a full/part-time role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week). The successful candidate will be assigned to support the team in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Obtaining and renewing current visas and residence permits including all associated costs, are the primary responsibility of the intern. UNHCR may assist by providing supporting documentation if needed.
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Allowance: Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party will receive an allowance to partially help to cover the cost of food, local transportation and living expenses
Standard Job Description
Other informationThis position doesn't require a functional clearance