Vacancy Annoucement : SVN-CO-020-2020
Open to internal and external candidates
Position Title : Project Assistant (Migration Mainstreaming)
Duty Station : Dakar, (Senegal)
Category : General Service, Grade G5/1
Type of appointment : Special Short Term 9months (Possibility of extension)
Closing date : July 10th, 2020
Estimate start date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For this vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
This position falls under the Global Program on Making Migration Work for Development (Phase III) funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Coordination.
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Officer for Migration Mainstreaming, AND under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission of IOM Senegal, the project assistant will assist the National Project Officer in the management, coordination and implementation of the project related activities in Senegal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
In particular, the incumbent will:
In close coordination with the National Project Officer, the project assistant will assist in the implementation of the MM3 project and other activities related to Labour Migration and Development thematic and follow-up on the activities to be carried out in Senegal. This includes assist in the implementation of the project activities, following-up on the projects’ work plan and deliverables, liaising with stakeholders in Senegal, participating to steering committees and events, assisting in drafting final reports, developing and disseminating communication material, etc.
Provide an administrative and logistical support to the implementation of the project activities.
In the context of the project, provide support for the implementation of initiatives contributing to the development of Senegal organized by the project partners, participating candidates, diaspora organizations, etc.
Provide support to the project partners for the organization of capacity-building missions to Senegal, including organizing meetings with relevant stakeholder and focal points.
Coordinate with internal units (finance team, Procurement, Human resources etc.) and with the National Project Officer on project budget, project contracts, administration, terms of reference, data protection, procurement, etc.
Assist in drafting the narrative and financial reports to be submitted to the donor.
Assistant in the development of new projects on labor migration and Development thematic.
Undertaker travel duty when necessary.
Any other tasks as may be required.
Required qualifications and experiences
· Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in administration, economics, social science, law, international relations, or related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum 3 (three) years of relevant professional experience
• High School Degree with minimum 5 (five) years of relevant professional experience
• Experience in the implementation and monitoring of projects related to migration and development.
• Experience in coordination with partners and governmental institutions
• Experience in administration or project management
• Previous experience in international organizations or in non-governmental organizations is an asset
• Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis; and,
• In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
• Knowledge of project management and administration
• Fluency in French and English (oral and written).
• Local languages
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position may require temporary/periodic secondment outside the duty station.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org referring to this advertisement in the subject: “SVN-CO-020-2020 and complete name”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: **
From June 26th, 2020 to July 10th, 2020.