About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future. In Uganda, Mercy Corps has worked since May 2006 by focusing its programming on Health, adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps is looking for an Operations Officer responsible for leading the operations function in Amudat Office. Ensures to maintain the operation field support function in a timely manner. The operations officer oversees all arrangements and coordination for program support logistical duties.
Essential Job Functions
· Responsible for the daily coordination of Mercy Corps Program procurement activities;
· Ensure that Mercy Corps procurement policies and formats are properly used.
· Contribute to the overall program planning and implementation process.
· Assists program and support staff on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation;
· Collects quotations and bids from the market for PRs as assigned – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
· Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Programs and Operations departments of Amudat.
· Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions as to MC standards.
· Preparation of status reports on deliveries for Programs, office Management and recipient of supplies.
· Maintain thorough procurement files as outlined in the MC procurement policy;
· Maintain the filing of both hard copy and soft copy of the ongoing and complete Purchase Requests with all the supporting documents as required by the Mercy Corps Procurement Policy;
· Ensure the timely and well documented delivery of supplies and services to respective MC Uganda field offices in coordination with the field-based logistics officers.
· Interacts with suppliers according to MC standards.
· Compliance checks in relation to Procurement manual and Donor requirement, ( RPS On-Demand, segregation of duties, Referencing, AAM, Donor waivers, etc)
· Facilitate Procurement Committee meetings and be part of this working committee on sealed quotation procedure, tender preparation, opening, evaluation and award process. Operations Officer responsible for documenting all committee meeting minutes and decisions and get required approvals.
· Manage the PR Masterlist for Amudat and make updates, on an ongoing basis.
· Provide Orientation on Procurement procedures from time to time to new recruits and Programs in line with MC policy.
· Conduct market surveys for prices and maintain a list of prices for commonly purchased items in all Program areas of operation.
· Maintain an updated Vendor database with all relevant details, legal status, tax clearance status, etc
· Conduct site visits for construction related procurements in collaboration with Engineers and other Program staff to verify services performed, materials and other direct deliveries made to beneficiaries.
· Sensitize vendors on Mercy Corps procurement procedures and advocate for high levels of integrity.
· Processing payments for completed procurements ensuring acknowledgement in terms of GRNs, Completion Certificates and waybills are completed by relevant staff.
· Complete Master Service Agreement (MSA) tenders and processes, and update MSA database
· Work with requestors on in ensuring services and contracts are delivered according to agreed terms and condition
· Draw, check and update Service contracts, as well as update the respective databases periodically
· The Operations officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
· Other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- All operations files must be clearly maintained. These files must always be updated, organized, clearly marked, and complete.
- Pipeline prospectus reports for all good/commodities request by MC in for Amudat office or program, produced and filed by field office or program.
- Manuals, documentation, receipts, shipping documents, and other critical information such as passwords or programming is to be safely kept
- Copies of goods receiving notes for all procured items purchased in Uganda Kampala and transferred to MC Amudat field office
Field Asset Management
- Maintain the asset records for the Amudat office and update a centralized Assets inventory of all MC Uganda offices
- Ensure all the items bought that falls under Asset category according to MC Policies are properly registered on the Asset Register with all the required information
- Maintain a softcopy of the Asset Register for Amudat.
- Liaise with the field offices on the Assets Management, monitor if the register is properly maintained and it matches with the centralized softcopy.
- Every six months review and physically crosscheck the Asset Register with the assets to ensure the asset tags are available on the assets and update the assets condition – depreciation if applicable.
- Overall responsibility for the MC Uganda Operations
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps.
- Perform other tasks as requested and needed by the Mercy Corps Operations in Amudat.
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to mercy corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by Mercy Corps Country Program.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
· Follow the Mercy Corps Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
· Daily coordination of MC logistical, warehouse procurement activities.
· Ensure the timely delivery of supplies to respective Projects in with the coordination of with the procurement department and MC transport pool.
· Understand MC warehouse policies and formats.
· Maintain the inventory and prepare the reports on a weekly basis.
· Ensure the smooth warehouse operation, and with compliance with security procedures, health and safety, maintain the warehouse in a clean and tidy state
· Interact with suppliers in the receiving and inspection of goods and issue GRNs.
· Receive the goods as per the description on the Purchase Order/request. Inspect goods upon delivery and reject inadequate, broken, lower quality and other items that do not meet requirements of the order.
· Dispatch goods from the warehouse using appropriate MC procedures, Store Release forms, Waybills and update Stock Records and Bin Cards.
· Prepare report of monthly stocks, end of grant stocks, fiscal year physical counts and other physical counts, as instructed by supervisor.
· Display bin cards on each item in the warehouse.
· Maintain, update Warehouse Register book.
· Maintain physical and electronic copies of inventory, as per formats and forms provided in the Warehouse Manual.
· Coordinate with the Transport Manager for transportation arrangement for dispatches.
· Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy. Ensure that all vehicles have proper on-board vehicle documentation. Maintain administrative vehicle files for each vehicle.
· Continuous tracking of vehicle log-sheets; responsible for monthly compilation of fuel consumptions.
· With the Head Driver, schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs. Maintain vehicle movement board daily. Oversee and ensure proper use of the vehicles.
· Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with gas station(s)
· Organize cleaning of vehicles.
· Organize regular service schedules for vehicles and maintain service schedule files.
· Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner.
· Track vehicle expenses in accordance with the respective procurement policy.
· File Monthly Vehicle Consumables sheet for each vehicle separately.
· Order and maintain stock of spare parts and consumables.
· Manage drivers’ leave schedules ensuring smooth operation of the fleet.
· Coordinate with Human Resources to ensure proper tracking of drivers/Guards HR files.
· Ensure drivers are licensed and trained. Participate in hiring and disciplinary measures for drivers.
· Coordinate with drivers to ensure regular vehicle communications is in place.
· Ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies, etc.
· As security focal point, coordinate with District Security officers; organize levies as needed for field trips.
· Ensure that security incident reports are completed and filed including all vehicles’ related incidents).
· Ensure that accident reports are completed and filed.
· Responsible for oversight of vehicle rentals including tracking of leases and payments
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: Drivers Accountability: Accountable to all Mercy Corps policies and regulations and established by HQ and Mercy Corps Uganda.
Reports Directly to: The Head of Office
Works Directly with: Program, finance and Operations team members
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff member are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
· A bachelor’s degree Procurement and Logistics Management, Business Management, or a closely related field.
· At least three years’ experience in logistics, procurement, fleet management and warehousing with international NGOs is an asset.
· Strong organizational skills, ability to maintain the procurement and logistics filing system, ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel, adaptability to unanticipated circumstances,
· Microsoft Office computer skills and experience with using email.
· Proven ability to solve problems independently without supervision
· Ability to communicate in English.
The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.