Desired start date: 01/03/2020
Duration of the mission: 6 months, renewable.
ABOUT THE MISSION
Nigeria has been going through an acute political and military crisis for years, which has affected millions of lives. Solidarités International (SI) has been answering the needs of displaced populations, as well as host communities in the Borno State for almost 4 years.
Today, SI is one of the last humanitarian actors still operating in the area – taking aid further. The targeted areas of intervention are SIWASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood.
SI’s mission today, it is more than 220 people (approx. 200 Nigerian staff and 20 international staff), who are working every day to help the most vulnerable populations in the Borno state. They are operating from 5 different locations:
- Liaison office: Abuja.
- Coordination office: Maiduguri.
- Operational bases: Maiduguri, Monguno, NGala and Dikwa.
The mission has a forecasted budget of more than EUR 11M. Europaid, ECHO, OFDA, CDC and the UN (NHF, WFP) currently fund it. This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area, and to ensure an adequate humanitarian impact.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Regional Logistics Manager will be based in Maiduguri, and will implement and supervise all logistics operations in Dikwa and Ngala base.
She/he will organize logistic support for programs, enforcing SI’s procedures.
She/he will assist the field coordinator in the implementation of safety rules.
She/he could be asked, if required, to give a support to Monguno base.
She/he will be responsible for:
- Supply Management:
- Explore local markets in remote LGAs and assess in which way local procurement could be prioritized.
- Vehicle Fleet Management:
- Ensure efficiency of the fleet utilisation.
- Follow-up of fuel consumption**.**
- Equipment/Telecommunications Management:
- Support the setting up of an appropriate communication network at base level.
- Train staff on adequate utilisation of VHF and communication equipment.
- Management and Monitoring of IT Equipment.
- Stock Management:
- Ensure warehouse are clean, appropriately managed, and stock inventories carried out regularly.
- Random physical checks, to be done on a regular basis.
- Logistic Human Resource Management:
- Training capacity building of the logistic team.
- Recruitment of a Logistics Assistant when needed.
- Implement / Follow up the reinforcement of SI premises’ security
- Ensure base logistic packs meet the quality requirement and are timely sent to the coordination.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Capacity building of the 2 Logistics Assistants and Store Keepers.
- Setting up of the office.
- Follow up / implementation of the security upgrades for SI’s premises
- Follow up / cleaning of the warehouses /physical stock inventories
ORG CHART POSITION (REPORTING AND FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS)
The position is under the hierarchical supervision of the Field Coordinator; and under the functional supervision of the Logistics Coordinator.
The Regional Log Manager will manage the bases’ logistics teams: Log Assistants, Store Keepers, Drivers and Guards.
Our ideal candidate would have the following profile:
- Professional experience: 12 months in a similar position
- Experience in remote management will be an asset
- Strong work ethics => are you responsible, reliable, honest?
- Very good organizational skills => do you know how to prioritize and to juggle with different tasks? Can you liaise with teams that are distributed in different locations?
- Stress management: there are fluctuating levels of stress => are you cool-headed?
- Interpersonal skills: we are looking for a team player who can interact with people from different backgrounds, cultures and nationalities => are you a good listener? Are you patient?
- Management skills => are you someone who knows how to manage, train staff, and delegate tasks?
- Languages: fluent in English; basic French (additional languages a plus).
- Excellent analytical skills and writing skills.
- Able to express her/himself fluently and clearly.
- Good knowledge of general logistics management.
- Excellent knowledge of MS office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: according to experience – minimum EUR 2420 gross per month (EUR 2200 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem: USD 600 / month.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system, including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- 1 break of 7 working days every 3 months + USD 850 allowance (for each break).
- 1 day off per worked month.
These days off, as well as the breaks, are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary: they are offered by SI.
The Regional Log Manager lives in SI’s compound – guest house (GH) with the other international staff. He/she has private room and shares the bathroom and the kitchen. The GH is next to the office and located in a residential area.
Despite the current political and humanitarian context in Borno state, Maiduguri provide proper living conditions.
Electricity is available at the office and at the GH (except a small period during the night), communication and internet are available, either on the SI provided network or the 4G network. All essential goods (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket.
There is a dense social life in Maiduguri, and visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some pre-validated places.
The constraints related to security do exist (movement restrictions, curfew), but they are bearable.
However, please note that the security constraints are more important when it comes to field deployments outside Maiduguri: stricter rules have to apply.