The position is located at the FAO Representation in Georgia under the European Neighbourhood Programme for Agriculture and Rural Development (ENPARD) IV programme. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by the FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The International Policy expert on Aquaculture will operate under the overall operational guidance and responsibility of the FAO Representative for Georgia, and direct supervision and day-to-day management of the ENPARD Coordinator, and technical guidance of GFCM experts and in close coordination with the Senior National Policy Advisor and with the officials of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Agriculture of Georgia.
The International Policy expert on Aquaculture will support technically the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Agriculture of Georgia (MEPA) and the National Environmental Agency (NEA) in the finalisation of the Aquaculture Strategy, as well as in some other technical areas linked to the implementation of the strategy, such as the AZA.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Finalize and validate the vision, mission, goals, outcomes, objectives, activities and scope of the strategy based on the feedback received from the aquaculture working group and stakeholders
• Finalize and validate the implementation plan of the strategy, including activities timeframe, monitoring mechanism and evaluation key performance indicators (KPIs) based on the feedback received from the aquaculture working group and stakeholders
• Finalize and validate market orientations and marketing aspects
• Finalize and validate the focus on Inland waters
• Finalize and validate general review of Allocated Zones for Aquaculture (AZA); Contribute to the work on AZA
• Consider consultation with stakeholders for each of the afore-mentioned tasks
• Carry out presentation of the final document of the Aquaculture strategy when needed
• Assist National Environmental Agency (NEA) on the matters such as: Licensing, Carrying Capacity, Management Plan of AZA
• Design of Training Session in Animal Health and Food Safety to NFA, Associations, Veterinarians, FAO staff
• Identify International Experts to train on several topics in Aquaculture to relevant audiences
• Participate in Training Session in Animal Health and Food Safety in relation to Aquaculture Strategy
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• BA in Agriculture, Veterinary, Biology or related field linked to the aquaculture sector
• 10 years of experience in aquaculture and relevant experience in policy for aquaculture
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and limited knowledge (level B) of another FAO language (Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic, Russian) for COF. For PSA, working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in agribusiness, food systems, and/or value chain development
• Ability to plan and organize own work, deliver results and meet deadlines
• Ability to write clear and concise technical documents
• Ability to perform well in cross-disciplinary teams
• Excellent oral and written communication skills