At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS Strategic Technologies Program seeks candidates for a 6-month, paid research internship. This position is projected to be mostly in person, with some remote possibility. The Strategic Technologies Program (STP) conducts research on the social, economic, and security challenges created by emerging technologies to inform effective policy solutions and best practices. The program’s research agenda includes cybersecurity, emerging technologies and innovation, 5G networks and telecommunications, surveillance and privacy, antitrust in digital markets, online content moderation, and the impact of technology on geopolitics and society.
The intern will be paid an hourly rate of $16.10–18.10, commensurate with experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Support ongoing research and projects, as directed by program staff.
• Compile research and data into literature reviews, summaries, backgrounders, and short publications.
• Monitor developments in the technology policy arena.
• Maintain and update research databases.
• Attend events and take notes.
• Support events and other administrative tasks as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Strong academic record with a demonstrated interest in technology policy issues. Competitive applicants should be in their senior year of undergraduate study or already completed a B.A. in a relevant field.
• Research experience.
• Ability to write clearly and concisely, particularly about technical concepts.
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple assignments under deadlines effectively.
• Strong professional communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be eligible to work in the United States.
• Full-time (35 hours a week) preferred, but flexibility around class schedules offered.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to https://csiscareers.silkroad.com. Please apply no later than Sunday, May 28 by 5pm ET. Please note, your application will be considered incomplete without all materials.