Requisition ID 33172 Office Country United Kingdom or Poland Office City London or Warsaw Division Banking Sectors Full-Time/Part-Time Full Time Contract Type Intern Contract Length 06 months with the option to extend for a further six months Posting End Date 15/02/2023
We are open to the successful candidiate being based in either London or Warsaw.
This opportunity is only available to Italian Nationals
The Energy Europe team delivers the Bank's mandate in the electricity and midstream/downstream gas sectors in central Europe and SEE. It makes debt, and selected equity, investments predominantly in renewable power generation projects as well as gas and electricity storage, transmission and distribution projects, with selected engagement in gas-fired generation. Its activities are subject to the applicable Energy Sector Strategy and the Green Economy Transition Approach 2.1. It also plays a key role in advancing policy dialogue to promote green, competitive and liberalised energy markets, with a particular focus on the development of regulatory frameworks to support increased penetration of renewable energy. In both cases, it is an extensive mobiliser of donor funding for both grant and TC activity.
Purpose of Internship
The Intern can be involved in all phases of the project cycle, including project origination, structuring, execution, implementation and monitoring. The Intern will take responsibility for the tasks assigned to them by the operation leader or more senior members of the project team, or more senior bankers, which may include undertaking comprehensive due diligence, including financial, market, integrity and EBRD policy compliance, as well as effective post-signing implementation and monitoring.
The Intern carries out these tasks as part of a project team under the guidance of the operation leader or under the supervision/guidance of more senior bankers.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the operation leader or a more senior banker:
1. Structuring and Execution
- Work as a project team member on transactions, contributing to all aspects of project structuring and execution, including comprehensive research and analysis of background materials, market information and financial performance data; analyse and evaluate potential risks related to the proposed project, including analysis of financial statements, preparing and updating financial models and financial projections;
- Assist with the designing and processing of technical co-operation assistance, including preparation of terms of reference and internal approval documentation, to support the related investment project or the related policy dialogue initiative;
- As may be requested, assist with communication with other internal units of the Bank, clients and other stakeholders, at the operational level, such as preparing draft correspondence, presentations, and following up on internal emails;
- Ensure that all tasks assigned to the Intern are completed within the specified time frames to a high quality and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of the Bank.
2. Portfolio Monitoring, Value Creation and Reporting
- As requested by the operation leader or a Portfolio Manager, undertake assigned tasks relating to the implementation and monitoring of projects to which the Intern is assigned as part of the project team, including compliance with project agreements and Bank procedures related to disbursement, monitoring of progress of the project and financial performance of the client, assessing evolving risk factors and monitoring and assessing covenant compliance;
- As requested by the operation leader or more senior member of the project team, prepare timely and comprehensive draft monitoring reports and include recommendations for corrective actions where required and ensure these corrective actions and recommendations are brought to the attention of more senior team members;
- As may be requested by, and under the supervision of, a TC operation leader, assist with the effective implementation and monitoring of TC assignments including communication with TC client, monitoring of TC fund usage, preparation and filing of relevant TC progress and completion reports to support the TC operation leader to meet donor reporting requirements and operational objectives;
- Under the guidance of a more senior banker, develop a database covering all renewable energy projects of the Bank signed to date with key financing terms and operational indicators to facilitate comparison between renewable projects.
The responsibilities of the Intern are designed to allow the Intern to progressively undertake more complex tasks and build the scope of responsibilities based on acquired experience and expertise.
Qualifications & Skills / Experience & Knowledge
Qualifications and Skills:
- Masters degree.
- Quantitative/numerical skills, with the ability to interpret financial information and to design basic financial models.
- Credit analysis skills, with the ability to interpret accounts, understanding local and international accounting principles and practice of credit analysis.
- Computer literacy, conversant with Microsoft Office and spreadsheet packages including financial analysis and modelling modules.
- Ability to work effectively to deadlines and complete tasks to a high degree of accuracy.
- Good teamwork spirit and working well as part of a multi-national team.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Professional qualification such as ACA, CFA, ACCA, or CIMA equivalent is an advantage.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Relevant financial industry experience from an investment or commercial bank, private equity firm, asset management firm, or auditing/financial consulting firm operating to international standards is preferable.
- Exposure to industry/country experience is desirable.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people's lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.