At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The Defense-Industrial Initiatives Group (DIIG) is hiring a research intern for a 35-hour per week, paid position. DIIG provides analysis on the critical issues at the cross-section of the Department of Defense, its industrial base, and long-term strategic competition. With a focus on defense acquisition trends, technological innovation, manufacturing capacity, foreign interdependence, and security cooperation, DIIG monitors important developments in the global defense industry. Through years of analytical research, DIIG has strengthened its capabilities to draw from large databases to present information in a clear, meaningful way. DIIG also collaborates with the broader International Security Program on a variety of research topics.
DIIG’s research efforts focus on a variety of topics, including:
• Defense acquisition trends
• The defense industrial base
• Global supply chains and economic statecraft
• Foreign military sales and defense trade
• Export controls
• Emerging technologies, innovation, and national security
This position will be paid an hourly rate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
Interns at DIIG bolster the team with a variety of core research and analytical skills. Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assists with research and analysis
• Writes comprehensive reviews of background literature for projects
• Copy-edits papers
• Assists with data collection and management
• Note-taking and writing summaries of events and meetings
• Assists with event planning and staffing
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• In pursuit of a bachelor’s degree (preferably at the junior or senior level) or of a master’s degree. Recent graduates are also encouraged to apply.
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience with quantitative analysis or training in qualitative social science methods
• Ability to carry out tasks without ongoing oversight
• Demonstrated ability to conduct research and present information clearly and efficiently
SUCCSESFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE SOME OF THE FOLLOWING SKILLS:
• Familiarity or demonstrated interest in defense research, acquisition, or supply chains
• Interest in national security, emerging technologies, economic statecraft, and innovation
• Background in national security, science, engineering, economics, econometrics, organization science or statistics
• Experience coding (preferably with R, Python, and/or Stata)
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, STATA, and/or SQL Server
• Experience with GIS Mapping
• Mandarin Proficiency
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, and college transcript as a single PDF at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com. Please indicate your availability in your submission. This application will remain open until positions are filled. DIIG is looking for an intern who is able to start May 15, 2023, though the actual start date is negotiable.