Job title: Human Centered Design (FP/RH) Consultant
Department/Project: PSI Mozambique
Term: 40-60 days with possibility for extension
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it's global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
With support from the Government of Mozambique and international donors such as the Royal Netherlands Embassy, FCDO, USAID, CIFF, and other private foundations, PSI has worked in Mozambique since 1995. We have implemented social marketing and behavior change communications to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across various health areas, including sexual reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, WASH, and cervical cancer. In Mozambique, PSI manages the largest non-state network of family planning clinics supported by three donors; manages the leading condom and water treatment solution brands with outsourced sales and distribution through a $100 million annual private sector distributor, applies adaptive learning approaches to develop new approaches, markets and technologies across innovative adolescent family planning, private sector PHC/SRH provision, and cervical cancer projects - all powered by a data-driven culture leveraging a range of digital and evidence platforms. PSI/Mozambique differentiates itself by implementing innovative learning programs that inform and scale PSI's programming, as well as national policy. The program is among PSI's top CYP performers, has an annual budget of over $13 million, four offices in-country, and 200 staff.
Partner with us!
The Human Centered Design (HCD) Consultant will work under direct supervision of the PSI Mozambique Director of Programs and with close collaboration with PSI Mozambique's programs, technical, marketing, and evidence teams. During this specific project, the consultant will lead HCD processes and capacity building under two parallel workstreams. Through the first workstream, the Consultant will lead HCD process to co-design and develop prototypes for private sector service delivery models in close coordination with the Private Sector Strengthening Consultant, and in line with the identified recommendations and priorities to strengthen the private sector's contribution to FP/RH service provision. Under the second workstream, the consultant will work with the PSI team and staff from select community-based organizations (CBOs) in Nampula province to adapt a package of demand generation materials for the local context. The consultant will be responsible for coordinating with the PSI team, the MOH (MISAU), donor, multilateral organizations, and external partners to organize all HCD design and prototyping processes and related capacity building activities.
Mozambique has made significant progress increasing access to voluntary family planning (FP). From 2011 to 2015, the modern contraceptive prevalence rate increased from 11.3% to 25.3%. However, over half of women aged 15-49 in middle- and low-income groups have unmet need for FP services in both rural and urban areas. Furthermore, the modern method mix remains skewed toward short-acting methods. While the private sector offers an alternative in urban areas, supplying 16.1% of WRA using modern contraceptive methods in 2011, the private sector operates in a fragmented fashion, with sparse availability of official information on services offered, volume of services, and quality.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded MOMENTUM Private Healthcare Delivery (MPHD) project, led by PSI, harnesses the potential of the private sector to expand access to and use of high-quality, evidence-based maternal, newborn, and child health services, FP, and reproductive health care. The project collaborates with governments, local organizations, communities, and private providers in all their forms—including private clinics, faith-based clinics, pharmacies, and drug shops—to generate market-based solutions that drive scale in service delivery and long-term sustainability of health coverage and outcomes. In Mozambique, MPHD is working with USAID/Mozambique and key local stakeholders to expand availability of high quality FP and related primary health care (PHC) services in the local private health sector.
PSI Mozambique expects to engage a Private Sector Strengthening consultant who will oversee the entire private sector strengthening workstream. The PSI Mozambique programs team will lead implementation of the demand generation workstream. The HCD consultant will support both initiatives with prototype and design process guidance and capacity strengthening.
The primary objectives of the consultancy are:
- Ensure timely, effective, and high-quality implementation of workplan activities related to the HCD design and prototype interventions for private sector service delivery models in close collaboration with key local health market actors
- Ensure timely, effective, and high-quality implementation of workplan activities related to applying an HCD process to tailor existing demand generation tools for rural communities in Nampula
- Build the capacity of PSI Mozambique staff and select partners in applying HCD processes to propose and refine health services solutions
Sound like you? Read on.
- Contribute inputs related to HCD elements into a detailed workplan that will be led by the Private Sector Strengthening Consultant overseeing the private sector service delivery workstream
- This will include planning out the overall design process with timings, including gathering stakeholder insights through a consultation and prioritization process; ensuring a collaborative prototype development phase, creating a scoring methodology by which to score prototypes with stakeholders, documenting the outcomes of the prototyping phase, and advising on an adaptive implementation approach for prototypes that move forward to implementation.
- Deliver a detailed workplan for facilitating an HCD process under the demand generation workstream; this should include review of existing demand generation tools and the design process through which they were created, and the subsequent adaptation process that will be facilitated for PSI staff and select CBOs in Nampula
- Build capacity of PSI Mozambique staff to understand the fundamentals of HCD processes and how these can be applied to improve health interventions
Designing and building private sector service delivery interventions
- In collaboration with the Private Sector Strengthening Consultant, serve as the HCD expert and lead the HCD process to engage stakeholders in co-designing service delivery models, in line with the priorities identified and lead day-to-day coordination of stakeholders and project teams to ensure timely delivery
- Facilitate the process of using feedback from users and providers gathered during the HCD process to build low-cost prototypes for FP service delivery models, in collaboration with the Private Sector Strengthening Consultant
- Assist in process documentation for all innovations/prototypes tested and support the transition of prototypes to implementation by contributing to implementation plan
- Advise on best methodology for developing an insights report
Adapting existing demand creation tools for rural communities in Nampula
- Lead the HCD process with staff from select CBOs in Nampula to review existing demand creation materials and adapt them for the local context and CBO activities**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
The consultant should have strong quantitative, qualitative, and analytical abilities with a passion for applying human-centered design to strengthen health interventions. We'd like to see someone with experience leading similar processes in comparable settings to strengthen health systems and programming. Demonstrated ability to engage with a diverse team, while delivering well thought though, detailed recommendations. A strong communicator, verbally, in writing and visually, that can simplify complex ideas into compelling summaries.
Minimum Requirements for Recruited Consultant:
- Five years' experience implementing human centered design processes, preferably with a focus on private and public sector markets and/or in sexual and reproductive health services
- Must have documented experience in facilitating design processes with a range of local private sector stakeholders
- Substantial experience in and knowledge of Mozambique's health sector strongly preferred
- Portuguese language skills strongly preferred
- Able to travel to Mozambique (contingent on the status of Mozambique's international border) or to conduct design activities remotely as required
- Detailed workplan inputs outlining process and timing of HCD activities
- Planning and facilitation of design workshops
- Regular updates to PSI Mozambique and the global MPHD team as needed
- Finalized design processes for both the private sector prototypes for launch by PSI Mozambique, and the adapted demand generation package for implementation by select CBOs in Nampula
- Documentation of design process and outcomes
- Slide decks or other reference materials for further capacity building of PSI Mozambique staff in HCD processes
- At least one trip and accompanying trip report
Work is expected to start 1 September 2021 and be completed by 31 December 2021. The exact start and end date are dependent on availability of local stakeholders.
To be considered, interested candidates or firms should submit the following documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31st, 2021.
- A proposed methodology or work plan
- CV or portfolio describing relevant experience
- References from at least three previous clients or employers
- Cost proposal to complete the planned work