Job Title: Director Financial Planning and Analysis
Reports to: EVP & CFO
Salary Grade: 12
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Job Summary: The Director, Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) is a key position in the Agency, assuming a leadership role in the management and development of the budgeting, forecasting and planning functions along with preparing financial analysis to support and inform the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and senior management decisions. At over $1.3B in revenue, operations in 110+ countries, and over 7,000+ staff, this position leads the Agency in developing, implementing and administer ing budgeting/forecasting processes, scheduling, guidance, communications and tools to the Agency. Working closely with key staff in other divisions within the U.S. as well as in Overseas Operations. Key responsibilities include financing and modeling for the agency strategy and multi-year planning, the development of agency budgets and forecasts including resource mobilization and allocation, financial decision support, as well as oversight and leadership of the FP&A team and planning system.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Chief Financial Officer, the EVP for Strategy, Technology and Communication and the EVP, Global Chief People and Diversity Officer to develop and maintain an Agency-wide annual planning cycle that ensures strong cross-functional linkages between operational programming, financial planning and talent management.
- Lead the annual Agency budgeting/forecasting processes. Design and implement the annual budget process and calendar to align with the Agency’s annual planning cycle and to ensure adequate and timely review of budget submissions by division heads, the ELT, the Budget and Finance Committee and, ultimately, the Board of Directors for their approval.
- Provide support to the ELT and senior management in valuing, prioritizing and funding Agency strategic priorities. Support alignment of the budget and forecast to the Agency strategy.
- Develop appropriate presentation documents for review and approval of the annual budget by the Budget and Finance Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Manage the budget calendar to ensure that the financial and operational plans are developed, reviewed by the ELT and Budget Committee and delivered to the Board for its approval by its September meeting in alignment with agency strategy.
- Provide analyses to the ELT and the Budget Committee to inform their decisions on budget/forecast such as current year forecast variances to budget, revenue and expense trends, headcount analysis and cost metric estimates.
- Lead the proposal of discretionary budget targets for review and approval by ELT, including continuous improvement and assessment of resource allocation methodologies (historical budgeting, zero based budgeting, rolling forecasting, etc.)
- Working with Charitable Giving, Mission & Mobilization, and OverOps Leadership team to develop revenue forecasts and targets.
- Embed a risk and opportunity management approach to all planning cycles, including enacting and leading on scenario planning exercises as needed
- Maintain Agency budgeted headcounts by division and region.
- Provide analytical support to the CFO and ELT as needed.
Planning & Budgeting System Leadership
- Accountability for the oversight, administration, design, and roadmap activities for Oracle Cloud Enterprise Planning & Budgeting Cloud Service (ePBCS)
- Represent and lead the planning & budgeting function in Insight (CRS’ branding of integrated Oracle Cloud ERP including HR, Finance, Supply Chain, and Planning & Budgeting functionality) through participation in governance, team meetings, and operational activities
- Ensure budgeting/forecasting software is aligned with strategy and resource planning cycles, is user friendly, flexible and supportive of the needs of departments, country programs, and budget managers.
- Understand organizational and programmatic budgeting and forecasting needs and determine how to best develop the budget/forecast software (currently Oracle Cloud).
- Bachelors and master’s degrees in finance, accounting, economics or related
- Experience in like size government or non-profit settings a plus
- Minimum 8 - 10 years budgeting, financial planning, or related experience in an international non-profit setting
- Experience in a supervisory or management position
- Comfortable and productive in a regular office work environment
- Ability to make decisions which have impact on the Agency’s financial management processes
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none)
Lead a total team of 9 staff, including 5 direct reports. FP&A team is organized into:
- Global FP&A team (total of 4 positions) responsible for systems, processes, and training
- Decision Support FP&A team (total of 5 positions) responsible for business partnering, financial analysis and reporting, and leadership of accurate financial projections
Key Working Relationships:
Internal CFO, Finance Division departmental leaders, Executive Leadership & Advisory Team, Regional Directors, Regional Finance Officers, Deputy Regional Directors for Management Quality, Country Representatives, Country Program Finance Managers, Senior Management, Insight team, and key managers for all divisions and departments.
External Liaison with vendor and contractors for planning software, peers in other NGOs and like size organizations using planning software
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.