JOB TITLE: Communications Consultant – Cash-Based Transfers Division
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Consultancy
UNIT/DIVISION: CBT Division, Programme Policy Department
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Home Based or Rome HQ
DURATION: 11 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Where markets and financial sector are functioning, Cash Based Transfers (CBT) can be an effective path to achieve food security and nutrition outcomes. The World Food Programme (WFP) uses CBT to empower people with choice to address their essential needs in local markets, while also helping to boost these markets. In recent years CBT operations have increased in scale and complexity, and there has been a corresponding need to increase communications around how CBT can support country offices through specialized services, ultimately to enable women’s economic empowerment, digital assurance, identity management, and government-to-person payments. The communications team has also increased efforts to reach out externally to position WFP as a thought leader and a trustworthy partner for governments, donors, and the people we serve.
The CBT division is looking for a communications consultant to support the team in creating multimedia products (editing videos and written stories) and support social media. The Communications Consultant will report to the CBT Head of Communications and support CBT services.
1. The consultant will support the creation of multimedia materials: editing videos, photos and writing stories.
2. They will support social media activities by developing social media content, planning posts, and utilizing platforms to enhance coverage of WFP’s cash activities.
3. They will be accustomed to working in a collaborative environment.
4. The consultant will upload materials to WFP’s multimedia hub and ensure they are searchable with the correct information.
5. Be ready to deploy to the field to support Country Offices and Headquarters in communications around their cash programmes.
6. Provide information management support to the CBT Division, including ensuring that information platforms are up to date and functional.
7. Perform other related duties as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
• Various edited films and stories that help promote cash services and operations both internally and externally.
• An increase in social media output and engagement.
• The WFP multimedia hub is populated with cash stories and materials.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: journalism, international relations, history, film studies, social sciences, management, communications, or others relevant to communications and/or humanitarian assistance.
Experience: At least 3 -5 years of experience in communications, journalism or some communications related field. Prior experience of working in UN communications desirable.
Experience in editing videos is essential. Experience of filming and photography highly desirable.
Prior experience of social media and social media necessary.
Experience of gathering communications materials from the field desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
Excellent ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing and visually.
Proficiency in Adobe Premiere is essential. Knowledge of Photoshop and Lightroom is also desirable.
Experience using social media channels such as Twitter or LinkedIn required.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook); Experience with using service management tools.
Languages: English is required. Another WFP language - Arabic, French, Portuguese, Spanish - is a plus