As an integral member of the Mass Marketing Team, the Associate Director of Supporter Love ensures that all our supporter needs are met in a timely, appropriate, and professional fashion, and that the care our supporters receive when they interact with us is second to none. Leading a small team of supporter care staff, the Associate Director ensures that our interactions with supporters engages them further with the IRC, instilling a sense of trust and making them feel loved and appreciated. A Supporter-Centric Approach will be vital for this role, especially as we focus and invest in key audiences such as sustainers and mid-value supporters. This ‘Supporter Love’ approach should be adopted for all IRC supporters - be they sustainers, cash donors, those who have not yet supported IRC with a financial contribution, or those who have decided to stop supporting IRC in the meantime. In fact, installing and systemizing this best-in-class approach will ultimately incentivize IRC supporters to stay with us for longer and, in the process, will also give more to IRC.
• Be responsible for the Supporter Services operation, making sure that supporters are communicated with courteously, in a professional and timely manner by telephone, email, or letters;
• Ensure that the Supporter Services team have the necessary tech and systems to be able to function at in a fully optimal fashion;
• Ensure that the Supporter Services team have the necessary information on IRC’s work, metrics, and programs to fulfill supporter queries;
• Ensure that a ‘Supporter Love’ approach is adopted and instilled in all our supporter interactions, leaving the supporters feeling highly positive and with an affinity to the IRC;
• Establish (and optimize where already existing), supporter care targets, tracking, monitoring, reporting and other vital metrics;
• Put in place an annual strategy for supporter care with necessary budgets, focus areas, and key outcomes expected. Indicate which audiences are priority and put in plans specific to their care and in coordination with other team members where necessary (e.g. Mid Value Team);
• Make suggestions for improvements and optimization of supporter care on an ongoing basis. Conduct review meetings, document adjustments (e.g. standard emails) and follow through with a plan to ensure improvements are made;
• Supervise the management of suppliers and vendors supporting this function. Ensure vendors are fulfilling contracts and are value for money, providing the best possible service by establishing a robust accounting and monitoring of their work;
• Conduct ongoing audits of our supporter care communications to confirm that the supporter is at the center of those communications;
• Mentor and manage a team of 5 supporter care staff, taking ownership for their professional development, motivation, and engagement;
• Look at ways to start new initiatives in the supporter care space which will help us develop the concept of Supporter Love and improve our supporter’s LTV. For example: collection and use of supporter testimonials, development of a supporter care website and charter, and organizing a Mass Marketing day ‘thank-a-thon;’
• Undertake mystery shopping projects both of IRC and of competitors to ensure that IRC attains and maintains a world-class supporter care function in the sector;
• Keep up to date on advances in Supporter Services in the NGO and Commercial sector;
• Collaborate with other colleagues within Mass Marketing USA to understand campaigns and prepare for them, ensuring so that the Supporter Services Team can respond accordingly and appropriately to our supporter’s queries related to them;
• Work in collaboration with other colleagues outside of the Mass Marketing USA team such as are required to further the work of Supporter Services;
• Other tasks on occasions, as deemed appropriate by the Director of Offline & Supporter Services.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
O 7+ years customer service experience - preferred in the charity sector but not essential
O Experience of leading staff members.
O Experience in systems such as Salesforce
O Experience of procuring and managing vendors/suppliers
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
O Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
O Solid organizational skills: the ability to work productively in a fast-paced, detail oriented, flexible and collaborative environment, and manage a multi-faceted workload;
O Excellent digital literacy: facility with MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software – Solid experience and understanding of fundraising software (Salesforce);
O Passion, optimism, creativity and willingness to work as part of a team are as crucial as is being able to work in a multi ethnic team with sensitivity to cultural nuances and differences;
O Ability to work with staff on solving issues related to donors and how they give, any processing problems they are having and should be flexible enough to assist or create alternate solutions;
O Ability to make effective changes to improve processes within the team;
O Ability to think about the bigger picture of the team’s role and how it relates to fundraising and the organization’s overall strategy;
O Fluency in English needed; knowledge of Spanish a plus.
Working Environment: This role is office based in HQ in NYC, but remote work can be considered.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.