About IFES: Together we build democracies that deliver for all. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral institutions/systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. We believe that trusted electoral institutions deliver credible elections, effective governing institutions are accountable to the people they serve, all people safely participate in civic and political life on an equal basis and technology, information and data positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing to mature democracies. Job Responsibilities:
Youth is a transitional time in life during which individuals' relationships with government change from passive to active. Reaching the age of enfranchisement is a milestone that enables individuals to formally participate in the political process of their country. The Youth Specialist will work to design, implement and support youth programs and initiatives that foster an understanding of citizens' rights and responsibilities in a pluralistic society and create a culture of engagement for those who have not yet reached the age of enfranchisement. The Youth Specialist will provide training, incentives, tools and opportunities for newly enfranchised voters to participate in elections and skills and knowledge to advocate for positive change within their communities. The Youth Specialist will provide technical assistance to regional program teams in order to ensure youth and adolescents are included in IFES programming, including mainstreaming as well as standalone programs. In addition to providing technical assistance on country-specific and regional initiatives, the specialist will also develop and support development of global tools, resources and publications.
Outreach and partnerships
- Develop new partnerships with traditional and non-traditional actors to devise innovative programmatic responses to promote the inclusion of youth in democratic processes.
- Represent IFES externally at donor and partner gatherings, conferences, and other events.
- Manage IFES’ youth Twitter account, devise social media strategy and enhance profile of youth programming in coordination with IFES Global Growth and Outreach team.
Technical Advancement and Innovation
- Advance IFES’ mission and competitive advantage by shaping and supporting program design and research in the area of youth.
- Develop initiatives to support internal capacity building on youth, including by managing the KMI( Knowledge Management Initiative) group and developing internal IFES tools.
Technical Assistance Quality Assurance
- Provide technical assistance to regional program teams and the Center for Applied Research and Learning.
- Develop projects targeting youth, as well as initiatives to ensure youth are mainstreamed throughout all programming.
- Provide ongoing advice and recommendations for program activities and conduct program reviews as necessary within field of expertise.
Business Development and Program Design
- Organize institutional responses to critical issues surrounding youth.
- Provide advice and recommendations to business development strategy discussions and execution.
- Contribute to and review IFES’ program design efforts, and lead the development of topic-specific proposals.
- Actively build and maintain relationships with youth CSOs, universities, foundations that fund work in this issue area, United States and international government donors, and other donor contacts relevant to core technical area.
- Contribute to development of user-friendly resources and tools to better guide IFES teams in the field and HQ on mainstreaming youth into program design.
Integrates and disseminates good practices and lessons learned between teams in HQ and the field. Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in political science, international development or related field highly preferred.
Experience: 8+ years’ experience in international development or related field. Proven experience in youth programming. Familiarity with the international donor community and experience as an action-oriented interlocutor with development actors at all levels – grassroots to the highest national and international levels. Experienced proposal writer and developer with strong writing and analytical skills.
Travel: Travels to the field up to 40% time to work on youth programming, evaluations, needs assessments, and/or thought leadership.
Language skills: Fluency in English is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:**
Please evaluate and describe any physical skills, abilities or working conditions that are required to perform the essential duties of this position, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”