Position: Value Chain Specialist - Poultry Equipment Engineer
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Level of Effort: 35 Working Days
The Regional Agriculture Development Program – East (RADP-E) aims to expand sustainable agriculture-led economic growth in eastern Afghanistan. The Program will provide technical services to the private sector and producers in order to increase the competitiveness of selected value chains, ensuring increased sales of agricultural goods and services in the selected value chains. RADP-East aims to lead the transformation to growth-oriented agricultural markets where knowledge and innovation continue to flow into the marketplace from the private sector.
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure. In addition, RI has country offices registered as affiliates of one of the alliance members in an additional 18 countries.
RADP-East, in its 4th year of implementation, has received grant applications for complex machineries in poultry value chain. The names and function of machines are known to applicants but they face problems in the development of technical specifications and in the identification of pre-requisites i.e. power requirement, space/area, raw material formulation, etc. to have in their processing centers. Currently, a number of grant applications from potential poultry agribusinesses are received and evaluated as eligible for grants but due to their lack of knowledge on the technical specification of requested machines, there are delays in the grant clarification process. RADP-East team also lacks the required technical knowledge needed to identify and procure complex equipment. This includes verifying the need, creating specifications, and advising the procurement bid committee. To avoid delays, ensure appropriate decisions are made, accelerate successful grant implementation, and protect US government money, RADP-East proposes to hire an international STTA who can support the poultry team to verify the need of the requested poultry equipment, assist the project in the development of technical specifications, support the procurement bidding process, and ensure successful implementation.
Work Station / Location: The STTA will be utilized on an as needed basis and will work remotely and in-country. The in-country work will include the first 10 working days. In country work will include meeting with RADP-East technical staff and beneficiaries to learn about the problems associated with machineries in past grants, and to assess what kind of machineries will be needed in the grants under clarification as well as in future grants. The remaining duration of the STTA will work remotely to advise RADP-East on specifications, technology selection, origin/price of machines, function of machines, requirements for various machines through phone, email and Skype.
Duration: 35 Working Days
- During the visit to Kabul, assess the problems associated with development of specification and get an overall idea on what kind of machines will be needed by poultry agribusinesses. In addition, meet with poultry agribusinesses to know about the overall situation of processing areas in terms of power, structure, space, etc.
- Work on the technical specification of poultry equipment and assist RADP-East in the identification of various poultry equipment needed by the grantees.
- Assist project in the identification of source/ origin, capacity and prices of various kinds of poultry equipment.
- Assist project in the identification of pre-requisite conditions deemed necessary for the installation, operation and maintenance of the requested machinery. In addition, provide feasibility of purposed technologies and cost analyses of purposed equipment.
- Advise project in troubleshooting of poultry equipment i.e. installation, operation and maintenance of machineries.
- Develop an equipment list/catalogue with appropriate specifications based on equipment availability in Kabul and needs of grantees and beneficiaries
- Provide advice for improvement on the current ongoing poultry equipment identification and specification development process.
- BSc degree in Mechanical, Agricultural or Industrial Engineering or related degree.
- At least 10 years of experience working with poultry equipment; including feed mills and poultry processing.
- Strong knowledge (both theoretical and practical) regarding various kinds of poultry equipment.
- Strong background in poultry plant design, equipment installation, and operation, with an emphasis on troubleshooting. Unit operations can include both wet and dry processing equipment such as feed mills, pelletizing system, packaging lines, poultry meat and egg processing equipment, etc.
- Strong ability to apply applications of engineering principles and practices to solve specific problems in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of manufacturing costs associated with implementing engineering designs and equipment.
- Familiar with regulations and codes involving electrical and construction related to poultry equipment.
- Ability to modify and adapt equipment/machinery to advance product processes from theory to application.
- A report on the initial visit to Kabul. The report will summarize the assessment regarding the needs of poultry equipment required by agribusinesses; and meetings with RADP-East team and grantees.
- Provide on need basis the detailed specification of each poultry equipment/line requested by RADP-East and feasibility on the availability, requirements, installation, operation and maintenance of poultry equipment.
- Provide trouble shooting advice on phone, Skype and email to RADP-East on the installation, operation and maintenance of poultry machines.
- Develop a list/catalogue of equipment with specifications based on a product availability in Kabul and informed by the needs of grantees and beneficiaries.
- Final STTA Report.
Conditions of Work Requirements
Work and living facilities are in high security zones with frequent security drills and protocols and limited access to medical facilities. General work environment and living quarters requires ability to walk numerous flights of stairs on a daily basis. Security protocols require the individual in this position to be able to quickly climb multiple flights of stairs while wearing 30 lbs. of personal protective equipment, walk swiftly or run across uneven terrain without assistance, and enter and exit project vehicles without assistance.