OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA works with humanitarian partners in the country and ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall humanitarian response effort. OCHA is looking for an experienced Humanitarian Affairs Officer for the Hub in Homs. The incumbent supports the implementation of the following sets of activities: a) improving inter-agency humanitarian coordination, preparedness and response; b) enhance humanitarian information networks; and c) strengthen coordination with national actors.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office, and under the day-to-day guidance of the Head of Field Coordination Unit, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Support the overall implementation of office work plan.
- Undertake detailed analysis of the prevailing humanitarian situation, e.g., assess the humanitarian situation in conflict areas, report on IDP and other population movements, identify humanitarian needs and gaps in the response.
- Advise the Area Humanitarian Coordinator on the humanitarian situation in the area of responsibility and provide support to the Area Humanitarian Coordination Team (AHCT), through organizing meetings, inter-agency missions and developing joint contingency and response plans.
- Establish partnerships with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate assistance programmes activities, including gender-related considerations;
- Maintain a close working relationship with the relevant government officials to ensure appropriate communication;
- Support advocacy initiatives on issues impacting humanitarian needs and response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with humanitarian partners, government officials, etc.
- Assist in the monitoring of projects funded by Syria Humanitarian Fund (SHF) and support the HFU in maintaining contacts with SHF partners.
- Facilitate the preparation and implementation of Inter-Agency missions’ plans, visits for donors and other visitors and provide briefings on the overall humanitarian situation as well as OCHA activities.
- Support sectors to improve the efficiency of the humanitarian response through effective facilitation of coordination meetings, joint assessments, and joint planning;
- Support establishing, consolidating and maintaining a 4W database;
- Organize, participate and/or assist in organizing meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters;
- Manage the sub-office, supervise, support and provide guidance to the national staff working in the office.
- Perform other duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Head of Field Coordination Unit and other Humanitarian Affairs Officers;
- UN agencies;
- International and national NGOs;
- Relevant government departments.
Impact of Results:
Coordinated humanitarian response and identifying significant humanitarian issues. Develop well-reasoned, innovative suggestions and approaches to humanitarian response coordination and response. Work with the partners and support objectives and provide sound analytical inputs and advice with respect to coordination of humanitarian action.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Proven analytical skills: ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues and recommend appropriate solutions. Very good knowledge of the program of assignment, including the cultural, political and economic dimensions. Ability to relate humanitarian affairs issues and perspectives, including gender, social-economic issues, Strong negotiation skills: ability to lead and gain the assistance of others in a team endeavor, and to articulate coherent arguments to reach an agreement. Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment. Very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies, and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and sound knowledge of the institutions of the UN system. The program of assignment, including the cultural, political and economic dimensions. Ability to relate humanitarian affairs issues and perspectives, including gender, social-economic issues, Strong negotiation skills: ability to lead and gain the assistance of others in a team endeavor, and to articulate coherent arguments to reach an agreement. Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment. Very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies, and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and sound knowledge of the institutions of the UN system.
Judgment and Decision-making:
- Apply sound judgment to resolve a range of issues/ problems.
Planning and Organizing:
- Proven ability to plan and organize, establish priorities, manage and monitor work plans, coordinate competing demands, and work to tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including the ability to prepare reports and conductpresentations, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum information, making and defending recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet applications, and relevant software packages, including e-mail.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in political science, business administration & economics, low, international relations or other related fields.
- First level university degree in political science, business administration & economics, low, international relations or other related fields, combined with 7 years of experience may be considered in lieu of advanced university degree.
- Five years of relevant professional experience, preferably gained from working with humanitarian / development organization, including management of staff.
- Familiarity with UN policies, rules, and procedures, particularly in relation to humanitarian response and coordination, and knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian assistance, especially the humanitarian reform agenda desirable.
- Ability to research, analyze, evaluate and synthesize information.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely, ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Proficiency in both oral and written English and Arabic.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension