Desired start date: 15/03/20
Duration of the mission: 9 months
Location: Northeast Syria – Raqqa Base & Erbil (Iraq)
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
The Syria mission counts about 340 national staff, more than 60 expatriates, and has a 20 million USD budget forecasted for 2019.
ABOUT THE JOB
SI is looking for a Field Coordinator, based in NES & Erbil and supervising our activities in RAQQA.
Under guidance of the Country Director and in close collaboration with the Country Office (CO), the Field Coordinator is responsible for ensure that projects are carried out in accordance with Solidarités International’s charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures. He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management. He/she is responsible for the teams’ security in his/her assigned zone is SI representative in his/her area of intervention.
This role will be crucial in continuing the development of SI’s access strategy in this very hard-to-reach area, affected by both long-term displacement since the early stages of the crisis as well as ongoing tensions in the area.
Placed under the supervision of the Country Director, the Field Coordinator manages a team of 6 Managers (Administrator, Logistician, Base/Access, Distribution, Shelter, WASH).
SPECIFIC STAKES AND CHALLENGES
- Strong access challenges, leading to semi-remote management of our activities from Erbil (with regular movements to NES)
- Implementation requiring a sensitivity to capacity-building questions
- A high-volume assignment
PRIORITIES FOR THE 2/3 FIRST MONTHS
- Work with the CO to ensure new funding opportunities, while following up the implementation of the activities on the field
- Ensure continuing security management in a highly dynamic and volatile environment
- Build relation with the local authorities to maintain access
- Follow up and development of emergency response activities, the case being
- Ensure liaison and close collaboration with our local partner
- Post-graduate degree in humanitarian and/or development studies, social sciences, political sciences or similar field
- Experience in managing emergency response activities
- Experience of working with or through partners
- Proven experience in liaising with Local authorities (including security forces representatives)
- Previous experience in Middle East highly desirable
- Prior experience in remote management would be an asset
- Previous experience with SI is an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong management skills
- Strong representation and coordination skills
- Security management in volatile and armed conflict environment
- Speak fluent
- Knowledge of SI tools and processes is an asset
Soft skills and spirit:
- Ability and willingness to build up the capacity of its team
- Ability to work under pressure
Fluent English with excellent writing capacities is mandatory
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position: starting from 2860 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Accommodation will be in SI Guesthouse in Erbil and Raqqa.
Living conditions are very good and staffs have access to a wide range of restaurants, cafes and bars. Most of occidental products (food, clothing…) are easily accessible in Erbil. The country also proposes several destinations for weekends.