As a key member of the IRC’s Global Communications team, the Senior Communications Officer will help with the development and execution of communication strategies that bring the IRC’s story and profile to new audiences, especially targeting influential consumer audiences as well as the private and philanthropic sectors. The person will support and lead day-to-day communications for partnerships that help build IRC’s brand and profile and can lead to revenue generation.
The Senior Officer will also play a central role in cross cutting campaigns, leading in the development of messaging and media strategy. The role will serve as strategic partner in identifying and leveraging profile building opportunities with IRC’s corporate partners, working with multiple departments and stakeholders to deliver measurable results.
The person in this role will be a communications specialist who:
• Identifies & grows key IRC media and influencer targets that go beyond the policy / humanitarian sectors by developing and securing opportunities that raise IRC’s profile, especially with business, philanthropy and consumer audiences.
• Knows how to develop business-to-consumer messaging and crafts simple and compelling narratives based on sophisticated themes.
• Builds and gets consensus for new and “big” ideas, then works with multiple internal and external constituencies to bring those ideas to fruition – and get results.
• Leads cross-functional efforts to identify and develop positioning for programs, partnerships and people in order to significantly bolster the impact of IRC campaigns.
•Works alongside our corporate and foundation partnerships team to develop compelling joint opportunities, including partnership activations like launches and events.
• Leads communications engagement and strategy for anchor IRC partnerships.
• In collaboration with other communications colleagues, expands IRC’s media reach by identifying colorful “stories behind the story,” resulting in IRC-feature coverage in target outlets, beats and channels.
• Represents the IRC with corporate partners, including executive leadership.
• Produces quarterly reports on coverage and communications results using industry standard metrics and bench-marking.
• In close collaboration with our Entertainment Relations team, develops and secures communication opportunities to best use IRC voices at key moments.
• Writes press release, media pitches, blogs and op-eds.
• Genuine excitement about the notion of bringing our outstanding stories to new audiences.
• Approximately 6+ years in Consumer or Brand communications in the NGO or Cause-Marketing sectors.
• A creative thinker who’s able to navigate complexity and ambiguity to get to the heart of and cultivate a great story.
• A forward-thinking media relations professional with relationships with tier-one media, and an ability to form new relationships.
• An experienced generalist who thinks about and drives Communications across channels, e.g., video, digital, social, internal and media.
• A strategist, planner and do-er, i.e., someone who has a proven track record of developing creative ideas and campaigns and drive implementation.
• A history of working on profile-raising, dynamic public-private and/or luminary/celebrity campaigns, and a comfort level engaging with and providing counsel.
• Outstanding Communications “hard skills,” e.g., a terrific writer with a demonstrated ability to develop, pitch and secure feature coverage in top-tier media.
• Private sector experience or agency is helpful.
This position is based at the IRC's headquarters in New York with some domestic and international travel expected. The role is expected to be fully remote at least until May 2021.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.