Reports to: Manager Governance & Advocacy
Job Location: Nairobi with frequent travel to field locations in Nairobi’s informal settlements, Marsabit, Tana River, Turkana, Wajir
One (1) Year Fixed Term Contract
Medical Cover (1 Principal + 2 Dependants)
Life Assurance Cover
Personal Accident Cover
To ensure increase in Concern Kenya’s influence, visibility and public engagement by telling the story of our work in a way that is inspiring timely and relevant and engaging various audiences- our communities, staff, partners, government, donors and supporters encouraging them to take action and increase their support.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
· Act as custodian of Concern Kenya’s communication strategy; track progress, review actions, identify new opportunities
· Develop annual implementation plan for communication and lead its roll out regularly updating priorities and key work-streams, in line with progress
· Oversee the design of Concern Kenya programme briefs and fact sheets and regularly update them for donor and public engagement
· Proactively work with field teams and to produce compelling, issue-oriented feature stories and reports focusing on Concern’s work that can be used to produce communications material that influence media, partners, and policy makers to champion the wellbeing of the extreme poor
· Write thought-leadership, op-ed and blog pieces and review and edit media releases and other written materials for external audiences
· Maintain an updated listing of national media contacts in Concern’s areas of operation (radio, television, photography, video, print, digital influencers) and build relationships with them including accompanying journalists on trips to the field to support media coverage of Concern programmes on national media.
· Develop and provide communications and media training to selected Concern spokespeople, providing advance preparation, advice and feedback on media interviews.
· Manage all external communication (visits, events) with a lens of quality oversight
· Improve Concern Kenya’s digital and multimedia storytelling which includes regular social media engagement ,taking over Concern Kenya Tweeting among others
· Work closely with the Concern Global Communications Team to produce content for donor & public engagement, media relations, emergency communications and international media coverage.
· Work with programmes to develop Concern policy positions into public messaging and where appropriate, deliver a media plan to support advocacy objectives and/or public engagement campaigns
· Technical expert on all Concern Kenya’s donor branding requirements
· Provide technical direction to Programme Coordinators/Managers on donor branding requirements
· Build capacity of Programme teams on donor branding requirements
· Responsible for all office publications (manuals, studies, promotion etc.) ensuring distributions lists are provided
· Timely monthly and quarterly reporting on Concern’s communication results
Responding to Emergencies:
· Lead on the media engagement during emergencies and critical incidents
· Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s Emergency response as and when necessary
· Comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
Programme Participant Protection Policy
· To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy
A Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or other relevant field
· Three (3) years’ experience developing and implementing communication strategies and relevant experience in advocacy in the humanitarian/development sector.
· Ability to synthesize complex advocacy, policy and programme response approaches into audience led briefing papers, media Q&A documents and key messages
· Demonstrable experience working with local and international media, blogging and social media engagement and resource mobilization.
· Good understanding of programme cycle management and application of advocacy strategies to promote positive development outcomes.
· Excellent communication & interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams.
· Excellent professional writing and editing and photography skills.
· Excellent networking, coordination, analytical and problem solving skills
· Proven competency in the use of computer applications
· Proficient in Computer applications
· Fluent in both spoken and written English and Kiswahili.