SENIOR FINANCE OFFICER - NWS
Support the Partnerships, Programmes and Finance teams in managing the finance elements of partnerships, building capacity of partners in financial management, processing timely payments of vendors and suppliers, and cross-checking all documentation ensuring compliance with donor and Save the Children requirements.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Finance & IT Manager
Staff reporting to this post: N/A
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
Sub-grant Management and Monitoring:
- Responsible for ensuring that all partnership expenditures are compliant with Save the Children and donor policies for the delegated partners.
- Participate in conducting finance and award elements of new partner capacity assessments and partner award risk assessments.
- Review/verify partner expenditure reports, through direct visits or remotely.
- Ensure that all partnership financial information is stored electronically in line with SCI policy and procedures.
- Support Finance & IT Manager in review of completeness of partner financial records.
- Support with conducting audits of final partner financial reports.
- Carry out cash disbursements to partners based on sub-grant agreement payment schedules.
- Provide direct and remote support to partners in relation to completion of finance reports and submission of financial documents
- Under overall supervision of Finance & IT Manager, prepare the cash monthly forecast for delegated partners.
- Maintain finance sub-agreements tracker and update it on monthly basis.
- Review partners’ proposal budgets to ensure costing is appropriate to proposed activities.
- Prepare/Review the partners’ expenditures GLACOS.
- Support awards/program teams in preparation of end of award letters detailing accepted, disallowed and queried costs, and where applicable any balances owed to or from partners
- Track partner advances and reported expenditures and provide regular updates to area office finance management and budget holders
- Ensure that partner expenses are posted to FIS (Agresso) in time and amounts owed to and from partners are monitored and cleared in time.
Partner Capacity Building:
- Conduct periodic reviews, spot checks and capacity assessments to identify support needed to build partners’ capacity in finance management
- Support partners by providing finance and awards trainings and capacity building initiatives to finance and non-finance staff, through direct coaching, group work, direct and remote support
- Lead on development and implementation of capacity strengthening plans for delegated partners.
- Support partners in preparation of proposal budgets, review proposed budgets to ensure costing is appropriate to proposed activities
- Work closely with the new local partners to review their policies and get them in line with SCI level by facilitating capacity strengthening initiatives
- Work closely with partners to ensure money transfers to Syria are in line with SCI policies and Turkish law, framework agreements with money transfer agents are compliant, PTT ways of working is respected, exchange rate loss/profit kept under control and the overall process is properly documented.
- Support in assessing the software and the finance process for the partners, provide the recommendations and the guidelines.
Cash Transfer Programming:
- Work closely with programme and finance staff to ensure SCI standard operating procedures and financial monitoring systems for cash/voucher transfers are complied with.
- Ensure reconciliation requirements are fulfilled for cash grant accounts for delegated partners.
- Providing complete, timely and accurate financial data for cash transfer programming stakeholders.
- Support in any necessary training and lessons learning exercise related to cash transfer programming.
- Work with relevant programme teams to oversee preparation for, and implementation of, distribution process (cash or vouchers).
Budgeting and Reporting:
- Support programme and awards teams on proposal budget preparation and modifications by reviewing and advising on proposed costs and justifications to make sure budget proposal is reasonable and realistic for the project needs and is complaint per internal and external policies.
- Prepare proposal budget portion of shared costs ensuring full recovery and fairness of allocation, support preparation of master budget and forecast.
- Ensure that a proper staffing funding and other shared costs plan is maintained, accurate budget codes are provided for new recruitments and funding gaps are periodically calculated and shared with the management.
- Ensure provision of accurate and timely financial reports for the donors and monthly BvAs.
- Reconciles all the country donor financial reports within the system before submission to donors/members ensuring they match with data.
- Support in preparing staffing costs allocation to awards/holding codes and share costs allocation on monthly basis in line with SCI policies and procedures.
- Support development and maintenance of trainings on budgeting, financial policies, and financial system and reporting tools, and provide these training to relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in awards controlling processes and support budget holders by updating the forecast for each award on monthly basis for both partners & SCI lines.
- Support in preparing the shared cost allocation on monthly basis by updating the office operation cost coverage in line with SCI shared cost allocation methodology and document the process in addition to prepare the offline sheet for posting.
Accountancy & Internal Control:
- Support Finance & IT Manager in monthly financial closing and ensures accuracy of reports to be submitted to main office.
- Ensure proper tracking and analysis of debtors and creditors (staff advances, prepayments, accruals and other liabilities), reconcile and prepare/post corrective and adjusting journal entries.
- Support to Finance & IT Manager to ensure accuracy of balance sheet items and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual Balance Sheet schedules with supporting schedules as per requirement in timely manner
Cash Management and Banking
- Support Finance & IT Manager to manage the cash flow to ensure timely and secure transfer of funds to meet program needs.
- Compile monthly cash requests from budget holders and ensures adequate and timely flow of funds to the field offices
- Review the monthly payroll calculation for area office and verify related taxes are reflected accurately.
- Provide assistance to staff on processing documents for travel, advance, expense claims, payment requests etc. and oversee requests for payments/advances/reimbursements.
- Review area offices operation cost, make sure that required documents are in place and prepare vouchers.
- Prepare payment requests and organize the transfer for the payments.
- Review all procurement documents to ensure proper procedure is followed, ensure official supporting documents are attached, and amounts are accurate.
- Keep financial archiving system for area office up to date.
- Provide support as requested by line manager to the accounting and awards team especially in month end and year end closing.
- Any other duties as assigned by line manager or the designate
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, safety and security and other relevant policies and procedures
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to;
- builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- At least 3 years of professional experience in line with the job requirements
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field
- Experience in assessment and remote monitoring of implementing partners.
- Knowledge of finance and operational controls in regards to cash transfer programming.
- Ability to work with strict deadlines and under pressure alone and as part of a team.
- Attention to detail.
- Advanced working knowledge with MS Office applications (i.e. Word, advanced Excel, Outlook, Teams)
- Familiar working with financial systems
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English and Arabic, with experience in working with multicultural teams
- I/NGO & donor relations/awards experience is highly desirable
- Communication skills (both written and spoken) in Turkish language
- Experience of working in an international charity and ERP accounting systems such as Agresso
- Experience of working in emergency response and major donors.
- Knowledge and experience on Turkish accountancy rules and regulations applying to international humanitarian organizations
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Level 1: the post holder will not have contact with children and/or young people, or access to personal data about children or young people, as part of their work; therefore a police check will not be mandatory for this post unless the content of the post changes, in which case the Child Safeguarding level should be reviewed.
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form and comply with the SCIs Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Benefits Package provided to National Staff:
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Transportation allowance
- 20 days annual leave
- Life and critical diseases insurance
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.