Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Indonesia.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of two (2) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Indonesia Resident Mission (IRM) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. IRM supports country partnership and strategy (CPS), policy dialogue and client relationship, business development, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in Indonesia.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Communications Officer will be responsible in promoting awareness and understanding of the ADB in Indonesia through effective public communications and media relations activities, carried out in consultation with the Department of Communications (DOC). The incumbent will report to a designated International Staff in IRM with functional oversight from the Department of Communications (DOC).
• Proactively develops and implements an annual strategic, results-oriented communications plan to support ADB operations in Indonesia; anticipates important communication issues and guides the development and implementation of appropriate communication plans and strategies; acts as a key link between the Indonesia country team and DOC in developing strategic communications and external relations locally; and provides strategic recommendation and support on ADB’s public communications activities in Indonesia and suggests solutions on emerging issues.
• Supports the development and execution of strategic communications plans to promote awareness and understanding of ADB in national and international media; plans and implements media outreach programs to promote ADB projects and knowledge products using press tours, media interviews, news releases, feature articles and other media tools including social media; provides inputs to key messages for media interviews and press conferences; and facilitates responses to media inquiries and advise on responses to issues in media reports.
• Effectively develops and maintains relationships with journalists from national and international media and assists the CD to build relations with key journalists; and monitors on a daily basis and maintains a system to track national and international news in English and local language for coverage of issues of interest to ADB.
• Proactively maintains and updates ADB’s Indonesia website to ensure quality and relevance of content; identifies and works with DOC to develop multimedia products and other social media platforms to promote ADB’s work in Indonesia; supports communications and media activities for Management missions; develops awareness-raising and informational materials; assists in developing and implementing communications plans for high-profile, sensitive projects; facilitates disclosure requirements under ADB’s Public Communications Policy (PCP); advises staff on the requirements of the PCP regarding disclosure and monitors key performance indicators in relation to disclosure.
• Coordinates/manages the translation and dissemination of news releases and other external relations materials—English to local language, and local language to English.
• Actively promotes knowledge sharing and collaboration with academic institutions, think tanks and other stakeholders in knowledge management.
• Effectively establishes and maintains relationships with non-government organizations (NGOs) and civil society organizations (CSOs) in Indonesia; organizes consultations for policy reviews, project processing and implementation, safeguard compliance, and handling of complaints; manages the IRM Civil Society Advisory Group including their periodic meetings with IRM; identifies and promotes involvement of NGOs and CSOs in lending and non-lending operations and public dialogues, as appropriate; and prepares IRM’s inputs for NGO activity and concerns report, in coordination with ADB’s NGO and Civil Society Center.
• Performs other duties reflected in the incumbent’s work plan and/or that may be assigned from time to time by IRM management or supervisors in DOC.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor's Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, development studies, economics, social sciences, or related fields, preferably with Master's degree or equivalent.
• At least 8 years of related experience in development communications, public relations and/or journalism, and at least 4 years of supervisory experience.
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of development issues in Indonesia.
• A proven track record of writing on development policy issues for the news media would be a significant advantage.
• Proficiency in proofreading local language translations.
• Knowledge and familiarity in communicating using multimedia and social media tools.
• Proficiency in use of software programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Good media contacts in Indonesia.
• Strong interpersonal, teamwork, and multicultural skills.
• Able to guide Administrative Staff to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
• Able to work collaboratively in teams.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 3.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.