Terms of Reference
Senior Business Analyst (P4)
Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service/ DFAM
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a Temporary full-time position within the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service, home-based and potentially in headquarter at a later stage depending on the COVID-19 situation. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a global United Nations organization which mandate is to protect and assist refugees and other persons of its concern world-wide and to seek durable solutions to their plight; UNHCR is present in 134 countries with offices in 546 locations.
- Title: Senior Business Analyst
- Duty Station: Home based
- Duration: 1 year
- Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
- Closing date: 30 April 2021
- Start date: 01 June 2021
Organisational context **
UNHCR is currently going through a complete business transformation process of the enabling functions to further increase simplification and efficiencies of services. The position is based within UNHCR’s Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM). The incumbent works under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service (GMIS). This Service includes UNHCR’s global asset and fleet management, travel as well as facilities and infrastructure management. GMIS also plays a key role in driving forward the UN’s “Greening the Blue” initiative, which contributes to improving UNHCR’s environmental performance and working towards reducing UNHCR’s carbon footprint by phasing out fossil fuels and improve access to sustainable energy.
Additional steps are planned to further improve the sustainable and climate smart management of UNHCR’s fleet management. Concretely, based on the outcomes of the UN Development Group’s Business Innovation Strategic Results Group (BIG), UNHCR and WFP have agreed to form a joint venture to provide mobility solutions, specifically fleetrelated services, to the broader UN family. This initiative promises to lay the foundations, at an inter-agency level, for the more efficient and effective use of global fleet assets.
The Senior Business Analyst is a leading professional who is expected to deliver new insight and lasting business value by leveraging the many systems and analytics business opportunities offered by cutting edge technology. The incumbent will lead end-to-end integration and proactively manage updates from a business transformation leadership perspective, utilizing skills and knowledge of the relevant area. The successful candidate will manage change and ambiguity, communicate effectively across teams and hierarchies, while balancing the needs and requirements of all clients. Due to COVID-19 situation this is a virtual position (with the possibility of working from the incumbent’s home) that will require travel to Headquarters in Geneva, where the Chief of GMIS is based, and to Budapest, where the Asset and Fleet Management Section is located. This is a temporary assignment for the duration of 12 months. All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description.
They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Chief, GMIS, the Senior Business Analyst will assume the following key functions:
• Plan and develop functional and technical solutions, financial models, business cases, concepts and operational activities for the rollout of new processes/systems or for the optimization of current processes/systems within GMIS, especially in relation to global fleet management.
• Ensure end-to-end integration of business processes across systems within GMIS.
• Ensure continuous systems’ support through UNHCR’s governance model, including managed service providers.
• Build strong business relationship with all stakeholders with respect to applications within GMIS and more specifically on Global Fleet Management.
• Coordinate business analysis of how systems and analytics can be used to improve its value as a strategic partner for field operations and senior management.
• Coordinate business analysis and implementation of configuration proposals for systems within GMIS that minimize complexity, simplify processes and streamlines management procedures.
• Provide expert advice on complex system design issues, including how system configuration and use of analytics can help achieve targets and key performance indicators and benchmarks, etc.
• Provide enhanced analytics (AI, Machine Learning, etc.), expertise and reports to UNHCR senior management, e.g. on key business driver insights and performance indicators.
• Coordinate change management for work practice renovation initiatives supported by the systems within GMIS.
• Establish and analyse benchmarks within GMIS with those of comparable humanitarian organizations.
• Build capacity for relevant business process owners to be aware of and prepared to use new or updated system capabilities.
• Manage and provide advice on basic security features, system roles and responsibilities as well as audit reports.
• Conduct report writing and report maintenance, set up actionable dashboards to meet the requirements of (regional) partners and their clients.
• Negotiate and prioritize business requirements with stakeholders.
• Perform other relevant duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
Years of Experience / Degree Level
9 years of relevant of experience with undergraduate degree, or 8 years relevant experience with graduate degree, or 7 years of relevant experience with doctorate degree.
Fields of Education
Advanced university degree in International Relations, Information technology, Business Administration, Economics, Social Science or related fields.
Relevant Job Experience
Minimum of 9 years of work experience at professional level as a business analyst or program manager in international organizations, public or private sector, out of which at least 6 years should be in an international capacity directly relevant to the functions of this position. Involvement in systems integration, implementation and related management and organizational change management initiatives in an international or multinational environment, preferably within the UN system or international public organization. Good knowledge of procedures/processes and exposure to provision of support services and resources management in an International Organization, preferably specific to configuration and maintenance in a UN or international public organization. Involvement in the analysis, design development and testing of system configurations. Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills and the capacity to communicate complex technical issues in layman's terms. Very good working knowledge of standard desktop tools such as MS Office suite and proven capability to learn new software tools. Good knowledge of the UN rules/procedures and processes. Experience in learning/training activities.
Extensive knowledge of ERP systems, including formal training or certification. Experience in business processes analysis and streamlining in the UN using CM applications.
Language Requirements: Proficiency in English
- Accountability Communication
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Performance
- Managing Resources
- Strategic Planning and Vision
- Cross-Functional Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
The successful candidate will be home based.
The Temporary Appointment is for one year and expected start date 01 June 2021. It is a full-time role.