Safety Team Leader (Liaison)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
The Safety Team Leader/ Liaison is responsible for The Safety Team in the area acting as the safety focal point for Tripoli Area of DRC Libya mission, will be responsible for the implementation of the DRC Safety Risk Management System, with a strong focus on conducting Safety Risk Assessments in the field, providing professional security advice, support, guidance, and expertise to DRC staff in coordination with Country Safety Coordinator. Through leadership and expertise the STL will enable, ensure, contextualize and report compliance to DRC security management system, while achieving effective access and continuity of operations through close cooperation with programmes and enabling DRC staff to conduct their work in a confident, safe, appropriate and effective manner. Responsible for ensuring a coordinated and principled approach in engaging and liaising with external stakeholders (community leaders, local or national authority, NSAs etc). This includes supporting SMT and wider team in the development and implementation of a principled access and engagement strategy.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Act as the local focal point for safety co-ordination and information sharing between the relevant
National actors within the area of operations.
- Collect, verify, analyze and report information that affects, or may affect, DRC operations.
- Establish a network of contacts that supports DRC safety in area operations.
- Track safety related incidents and developments and provide trend/pattern analysis to facilitate
- Undertake and support others to undertake Risk Assessments (RAs) and facilitate the
implementation of mitigation measures.
- Lead in conjunction with the Safety Coordinator and Area Manager the implementation of the CIMP (critical incident management plan) by office/location.
- Manage safety related information and provide all staff with regular safety updates and advisories.
- Maintain relevant safety documentation, data and records (training register, incident tracking,
- Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors in the area to gain safety information and analysis.
- Represent DRC at inter-agency safety fora.
- Focal point for the procurement of safety-related equipment, facilities and other resources within
- Conduct regular Safety Risk Assessments (SRAs) as per DRC policy in coordination with Country Safety Cooordinator.
- Identify indicators and key decision points, and link them to the SRA and safety phases.
- Assist in training on safety procedures as required for program staff.
- Prepare and submit safety reports and trend analyses as required.
- Provide Safety and Security advice on programme development and implementation.
SAFETY RISK MANAGEMENT
· Implement safety policies, protocols and procedures related to the safe implementation ofprogramme activities.
- Engage and participate in Safety related training as directed by Line Manager.
- Supervise and monitor the development and implementation of context specific security management system.
- Mentor safety colleagues on an ongoing basis in the area of safety and security management.
- Supervise the implementation of physical and asset protection protocols and regulations.
- Conduct regular site assessments and advise on mitigation measures.
- Assist in the management of safety incidents and crises, provide timely and accurate incident
reporting reports and analysis, and support organizational lessons learned.
- Assist in the development and implementation of contingency plans; such as medical emergency,
evacuation and incident management, movement briefings and contextualization of movement
- Develop and implement humanitarian access strategies, approaches and tools tailored and responsive to local contexts in field sites throughout Libya; with overarching community engagement components
- Identify, analyse and manage key relationships in Tripoli that will facilitate access for DRC programming
- Maintain an overview of all agreements, MoUs and past discussions with authorities and relevant stakeholders;
- Maintain and keep an updated register of key stakeholders.
- Lead on the development of an engagement strategy/plan; maintaining positive relationship with key stakeholders identified, encouraging stakeholders to work with DRC to ensure that staff and programmes are safe and allowed to continue in a principled manner.
- Together with the wider team, work to ensure that DRC, its mission and work in the areas of operations is known and accepted.
- Together with the Conflict Analyst & the Safety Coordinator, contribute to contextual analysis, keeping abreast of the situation in country
- Together with the Safety Coordinaator, HOP and AM, input and work on the implementation and review of tailored acceptance strategies
- Maintain a high level of preparedness vis-a-vis predicted contextual fluctuations operationally and programmatically
- Enhance DRC image and acceptance within the community and amongst stakeholders by providing guidance on inclusive visibility strategies
- Work with appropriate DRC units, including HR, to ensure timely and appropriate follow-up to violations of DRC’s Code of Conduct, in addition to operational breaches to humanitarian principles
- Any other tasks as delegated by AM, Safety Coordinator, and SMT
To be successful in this role we expect you to Degree in a relevant subject, such as community development, international law, etc Moreover, we also expect the following:
Experience and technical competencies:
· At least 3-5years’ experience in the fields of working for international humanitarian organizations in complex conflict settings in Libya, including in a managerial or coordination capacity;
· Previous experience in Safety;
· Previous experience working with and negotiating with communities, local leaders, authorities and NSA’s
· Demonstrable experience in carrying out rapid needs assessment and starting up, implementing and monitoring programming
- Strong capacity in influencing, negotiating and engaging a range of stakeholders; with proven representational skills and the ability to advocate in line with humanitarian principles
- Demonstrate ability in thinking creatively and practically to improve the quality of programming and achieve greater impact
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, and presentation skills
- Ability to work flexibly in a diverse team; with proven leadership skills
- Commitment to integrate gender, protection, conflict sensitivity and accountability
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Type of Contract: National
Contract length: One Year- 12 Months.
Level: G- Managment Band.
Start date: Early March 2020.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.