Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Safety Coordinator to manage all aspects of the DRC Safety Risk Management (SRM) system for both DRC and DDG programmes within Libya.
About the job
The Safety Coordinator role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within Libya. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Safety Risk Management
• Oversee the Safety Risk Management (SRM) process
• Develop area and country safety management policies, protocols and procedures
• Facilitate Safety Risk Assessments (SRAs) and support the implementation of mitigation measures
• Analyze, manage and report relevant information within Libya
• Monitor the operating environment in Libya, identify new threats, assess DRC vulnerabilities and recommend possible responses
• Maintain relevant safety documentation, data and records for the areas of concern
• Develop the capacity of, and coordinate, relevant Crisis Management Teams (CMTs)
• Technically advise on the procurement of safety-related equipment, facilities and other resources.
Training, supervision and support
• Undertake periodic training needs analysis in consultation with key program and operations staff
• Support and deliver safety-related training
• Mentor and provide technical supervision to local safety staff
• Facilitate surge support to IMTs as required.
As Coordinator the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Responsible for coordinating strategy and operations within Libya
• Has technical line responsibilities for safety, both strategy and operations
• Advise program and field management teams on context-specific risks pertaining humanitarian access, safety, and security, and contribute to the development and implementation of mitigation measures and plans
The above described summarizes the main duties of the position. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
Roles reporting to this position: No direct reports
Reports to: Country Director
Technical Line Supervision: Regional Safety Coordinator
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
• Internal: close collaboration with SMT, Program Managers, field-level security and access staff, and Regional Safety Coordinator
• External: close collaboration with other humanitarian actors, local implementing partners, UN agencies, government, and service providers
To be successful on this role we expect you to have:
• Minimum 3-5 years of working experience as a safety and security manager/adviser with an INGO
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, peace & conflict studies, history, disaster management or a military education
• Experience working in multicultural work settings
• Proven ability to develop and implement effective and contextualized protocols and systems
• Experience with information gathering, analysis and report writing
• Ability to conduct and produce high quality safety risk assessments (SRAs)
• Experience with critical incident management
• Experience with delivering safety-related training
• Experience working in hostile or hazardous environments
• Full professional proficiency in English.
• Arabic strongly desired
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
•The position will be based in Tripoli, Libya covering all operating areas in Libya to include frequent travel to Benghazi. This is a non-family, non-accompanied duty station.
•Preferred start date: ASAP
•Contract length: 12 months
•Job grade: Non-Management E
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.