CRS has recently created a new Ethics Unit, with a mandate for the prevention and response to ethical violations including fraud, corruption and all forms of harassment, exploitation and abuse. Working under the leadership of the Safeguarding Director, and in close collaboration with regional leadership, the Safeguarding Advisor will be a member of the Safeguarding team, providing expertise and guidance to CRS Country Programs in the Europe, Middle East and Central Asia (EMECA) region, the East and Southeast Asia (ESA) region, and the Latin and Central America region in Safeguarding prevention and response in accordance with CRS policy and procedures and industry standards and best practice.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
* Working with the Ethics Unit’s Safeguarding team and leadership across CRS departments, support the operationalization of the Safeguarding Policy; provide leadership and oversight of specific workstreams related to the integration of safeguarding in CRS operations and programming
* Working with the Safeguarding team, and with support from the Program Implementation and Quality Assurance (PIQA) department, co-lead on the design and implementation of a global training and capacity building plan for CRS staff corresponding to safeguarding competencies
* Support EMECA, ESA and LACRO country programs on the in-take and assessment of safeguarding reports and in preparing and conducting investigations of alleged safeguarding violations
* Serve as investigation lead or co-lead on EMECA, ESA and LACRO safeguarding investigations as needed
* Oversee the preparation of investigation reports and the inclusion corrective actions to address gaps in knowledge, systems, or procedures to strengthen prevention efforts
* Maintain/update safeguarding case files in whistleblower system
* Support EMECA, ESA and LACRO region and country programs to identify and develop the capacity of designated safeguarding focal points for safeguarding prevention and response (investigations)
* Lead EMECA, ESA and LACRO country program safeguarding focal points in the development of safeguarding action plans to address specific needs and gaps in knowledge, skills, practices, and procedures
* Lead/co-lead in the delivery of trainings and training of trainers for EMECA, ESA and LACRO safeguarding focal points, CRS staff and partners
* Working with the Senior Safeguarding Advisor and the Partner Safeguarding Advisor, support EMECA, ESA and LACRO country programs to conduct partner safeguarding assessments and to develop and monitor partner capacity building plans
* Contribute to the development of internal and external reports on CRS’ overall safeguarding efforts and case statistics/analytics
* Participate in and contribute to an external network of subject matter experts and communities of practice including donors, partners, and sector-specific advocacy groups; help identify trends, best practices and lessons learned to bring to bear on CRS’ safeguarding work.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
* Master’s degree in relevant field of study (Social Work, International Development, Psychology)
* Five or more years of relevant, international experience (safeguarding, protection) in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities. NGO experience preferred.
* Significant professional experience working in or supporting countries in the EMECA, ESA and/or LACRO region.
* Experience implementing safeguarding policies and practices related to staff (internal) and/or partners (external).
* Experience in conducting investigations of staff misconduct.
* Provide oversight and direction to staff by using effective interpersonal and communication skills; influence others both within and outside of functional areas of responsibility.
* Extensive experience creating and rolling out culturally sensitive training and capacity-building programs, materials, and communications.
* Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
* Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
* Knowledge of, and experience working with, USG and other major public donors
* Solid organizational/time management skills: the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced multi-tasking team environment
* Strong analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation and report building; strong computer skills including facility with standard desktop applications.
* Unpretentious and smart; a problem solver who seeks to find constructive solutions within compliance and policy requirements.
Required Languages – English fluency required. Arabic and/or Spanish proficiency preferred. Additional languages a plus.
Travel – travel will vary; 30% anticipated travel in given year
Work Conditions/Environment Conditions: Tele-commuting position
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.