1. Performing background research (qualitative and quantitative) on project activities.
- Present thoroughly researched information; implementation of the projects; preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, progress reports, policy briefs and proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Compile the researched material in a systematic way and prepare background briefs/briefing notes as and when required.
- Provide strategic advice to all project interventions after conducting extensive research on a variety of crucial issues.
- Support SPAU on national needs’ assessments and SDG-based planning and management.
- Work with the Human Development Report (HDR) research institutions and the HDR team on the preparation of research products relevant to the national and sub-national Human Development Reports. In particular, liaise with the research institutions to ensure they conduct relevant and timely research, interviews and focus group discussions.
- Support production of SDGRs and NHDRs.
- Organize national and sub-national consultative meetings or workshops on the HDR, NHDR, SDGs or other issues, as may be required.
- Review the background and thematic papers that have already been commissioned and assess them in view of the research results.
- Compile, analyze and synthesize information for the Economic Advisor.
- Provide effective support to management of the programme (and projects).
- Provide guidance to consultants/executing agencies on routine implementation of the projects and monitor quality of work of consultants.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on economic policies, research and analysis.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in economics and research.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Highly developed qualitative and quantitative research skills.
- Strong analytical skills, and ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources.
- Computer literate; must be able to use the Internet and other research tools effectively.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments.
- Teamwork - excellent interpersonal, organizational and management skills and ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Builds strong relationships with partners, focusing on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Able to manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to field based emergencies.
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Strong analytical capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Degree in Economics or Statistics with strong statistics background.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably with at least three years’ experience in development research work.
- Prior knowledge and experience in research and research methodology.
- Knowledge of local conditions and developments in Kenya;
- Knowledge of Kenya Government policies and procedures is an added advantage
- Knowledge of UN programming tools and operational procedures is desirable.
- Excellent English writing and oral skills.
- Knowledge of Swahili is desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 6 Months