Position Title : Regional Information Management Officer
Duty Station : Home based
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 July 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Emergency and Post Crisis Specialist, the direct supervision of the Regional COVID Task Force Coordinator, and technical oversight of the Migration Health Special and in coordination with other relevant Units of the Regional Office (RO) for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) in Bangkok, Thailand, the successful candidate will support the COVID-19 related programmes in the region, and maintain an overview of and carry out specific work relating to donor reporting, information and knowledge management.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Help identify and develop new strategic initiatives and programmes/projects related to COVID-19, supporting the coordination of such strategic initiatives with internal and external partners.
Prepare and ensure timely and quality submission of regional level reports and donor briefs, in close coordination with thematic units according to requirements of IOM, donors and relevant stakeholders.
Prepare and ensure the production of visibility and communications materials in close coordination with Regional Media Unit.
Track inputs from missions on various COVID-19 related issues including funding, programmes, situation updates, assessments, and other contributions to regional and national level processes.
Support in responding to inquiries from IOM Headquarters (HQ) and missions regarding IOM’s COVID-19 programmes, plans and fund raising initiatives.
Contribute to the preparation of reports, policy briefs, data bulletins and other materials on relevant themes as they arise, particularly with relevance to the COVID-19 specific humanitarian assistance, protection, tracking mobility impacts and others.
Provide analytical, research and data support to IOM’s missions upon request, including by contributing to IOM ROAP’s wider area of work as necessary.
Conduct desk-based research tasks and field assessments, in coordination with relevant colleagues in the regional office, with the view of identifying evidence-based good practices related to COVID-19 response and generating lessons learnt from the implementation of the related IOM programmes.
Support the technical and logistical organization of thematic meetings and knowledge management events. Actively contribute to the research, data and learning components of such events in order to ensure dissemination of lessons learnt.
Contribute to COVID-19 fundraising initiatives, as needed.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Strong understanding of emergency and post-crises issues;
• Understanding of the current developments and challenges in the field of COVID-19 response as an advantage;
• Knowledge of a publishing software (Publisher or InDesign);
• Knowledge of collaborative platforms such as Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive or Trello an advantage;
• Prior experience with a UN agency, or an international organization, is an advantage.
• Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills.
• Excellent communication skills and drafting abilities in English (oral and written)
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, with a strong attention to detail and quality.
• Team-oriented, but with capacity to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Personal commitment, efficiency, and flexibility.
• Strong organizational and time management skills, and ability to deliver under tight timelines.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish and/or other language in the region.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential. • Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.