CARE International is an organization driven by its mission to overcome poverty and social injustice. We currently work in over 93 countries with a focus on women and girls as the most disproportionately affected by poverty, while engaging men and boys as well. CARE’s East, Central and Southern Africa Regional Office (ECSARO) is responsible for the oversight of CARE’s operations in the region as well as the provision of support to Country Offices in the region. We are looking for a bright, dynamic, innovative and resourceful person to join the team as the Regional Business Analyst -ECSA to be based anywhere in the region.
CARE USA Core Values Commitment:
The core Values Commitment describes who we are, what we do, and how we do it. It reflects our core values of TRANSFORMATION, INTEGRITY, DIVERSITY, EQUALITY, and EXCELLENCE, which serve as a foundation for all what we do. The core Values Commitment articulates our shared expectations of each other including our board, staff, volunteers, interns, partners and contractors globally.
The Regional Business Analyst is responsible for promoting sound Finance & Award/Sub award Management within the region and the Regional Office (RO). S/he provides technical support in regional report reviews and feedback to Country Office (COs) to include Country Office Monthly Finance & Operations Report (COMFORT), Finance Analysis & Reporting, Budget Grants and Contracts Review log to COs in the region as well as Regional Office Budget Management and Reporting. S/he plays a key role in CO Master budget Analysis in determination of Shared Program Costs (SPC) and Funding gaps. S/he will work closely with the Shared Service Center, Regional Office, and Country Offices to ensure appropriate annual Financial Accounting & Reporting Requirements at the COs is accomplished.
The post holder will be expected 50% travel to Country offices in the ECSA region as may be required.
This position reports to the ECSA Regional Finance Support Coordinator.
I. ROLES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
1. Country Office Financial Management (40%)
- Provide technical review to COs on Master Budgets and advise of the CO health position to management, advise options for cost management across restricted and unrestricted resources,
- Deliver technical support to ensure maximized Shared Program Cost recovery and optimize charges to Restricted donor funding instead of Unrestricted,
- Support COs in annual budgeting processes including review CO submissions,
- Proactively identify and recommend opportunities to increase revenue, decrease costs, gain efficiencies, improve internal controls and/or improve operational capabilities,
- Provide financial analytical support for grant budgeting in proposals, especially in costing budgets and ensuring adequate funding is included in the budgets,
- Review and Recommend financial systems, controls, and procedures for recording program activities,
- Support COs in ensuring accurate and on time financial reporting to donors
- Provide COs capacity building in Award & Sub Award management and Accounting as may be required from time to time,
- Provide in country gap filling for both Award & Sub award and Accounting as may be assigned,
- Provide support to the onboarding process of key finance positions within the region.
- Support in trouble shooting in financial processes, determining cause of inefficiencies and propose/recommend solutions
2. Regional Financial Management & Reporting (40%)
- Monthly Regional Financial Reporting: will support in COMFORT Review and feedback to Cos. Review and prepare management report to the Regional Management Team (RMT) and Head Quarters as may be required,
- Support in updating the Quarterly Regional Management Dashboard Reporting,
- Prepare the monthly Managing Deputy Regional Director (MDRD) Report organizing monthly meetings to review Sub regional performance,
- Provide technical assistance to Country Office finance teams to improve in country financial operations, and awareness of global accounting and donor requirements. Will be required to participate in CO reviews, desk or in country,
- As delegated review internal audit, external audit, donor audit and other compliance reports to identify common issues requiring additional guidance, support and/or training,
- Support in follow up on CO CARE USA audit finance management recommendations to help in implementation and resolving of pending issues.
- Support SSC and Head Quarter capacity building team in the training in financial management,
3. Regional Office (RO) Financial Management (20%)
- Accountable for Regional Office budget management from the annual budgeting process to the monthly reporting on regional office finances,
- Liaise with the budget holders in the review of RO finance Reports including donor reports, (monthly BvA reviews)
- Complete ad-hoc projects/assignments as delegated
- Other duties and projects as may be assigned in support of the Regional Office
4. Other Responsibilities as Assigned
- Keep up to date with CARE’s emerging Financial Management Improvement strategies and approaches and contribute proactively towards high quality implementation and organizational change processes.
- Regional Finance support as may be required
Education and professional membership
- University Degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent
- 5-7 Years’ Experience in Finance and Grants management, preferably in not-for-profit sector.
- Member of a professional Accounting body e.g. ICPAK or ACCA
- Fluent French speaking skills is a key consideration for this role,
Functional / Technical Skills:
- Strong Grants and Contract Financial Management knowledge: specific major donors e.g. US Government rules and regulations, EC, DFID etc.
- Knowledge of GAAP and accounting applications suitable for field financial management required.
- Thorough knowledge of financial and accounting practices and procedures
- Advanced computer skills, including spreadsheets and database applications,
- Hands on experience of an Enterprise Resource Planning system
- Ability to prepare reports and articulate emerging issues and defend recommendations
- Knowledge of finance and budget management