- NDC Mitigation Sector Analysis and enhancement of MRV coordination mechanisms, including roles and responsibilities.
- Development and roll-out of a training course on Climate Change Budget Coding (CCBC) and Climate Finance Tracking.
- Supporting the operationalization of the Climate Change Fund as required under the Climate Change Act 2016.
- To Strengthen Kenya’s Transparency Frameworks for NDC implementation
- To promote gender mainstreaming into Kenya’s NDC planning, implementation and monitoring;
- To enhance private sector engagement in NDC implementation in mitigation sectors (waste, energy, agriculture, forestry, transport etc)
- To enhance Kenya’s climate action ambition(s) for sustainable and green growth in line with the development trajectory
- Lead, manage and coordinate day-to-day planning, implementation and management of project activities according to the Project Document (ProDoc) and project log frame;
- Prepare annual and quarterly workplans for the project in coordination with the country office (CO) of UNDP and the implementing partner;
- Supervise and coordinate work to ensure that project results match / document (s) of the project logical framework and indicators of outcomes.
- Take lead in preparing terms of reference for consultants to be hired by the project, supervise and coordinate their work, and review and certify their products.
- Liaise with the UNDP Country office to ensure that project risks are updated in the UNDP ATLAS system on a quarterly basis
- Overal program management for effective delivery of project results, as well as timely reporting to partners, donors and government
- Organize and coordinate with the Host ministry and UNDP staff the routine logistical operations of the NDC Support Project and/or its successor project and other projects implemented under the ministry.
- Provide technical guidance to the Climate Change Directorate, National Treasury and project implementing partners in implementing the NDC Support Programme’s climate change and gender related outputs as described above.
- Suporting efforts to strengthen donor coordination around the area of climate change, specifically enhancement of Kenya’s NDC and the technical and financial needs thereof.
3. Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Monitor the project’s progress towards the attainment of the project outcomes and objectives, achievement of the project’s global environmental benefits;
- Facilitate broad-based consultations on the technical outputs from the work of consultants and or technical teams on NDC implementation as well as the MRV tools and instruments, for enhanced reporting on NDC implementation through development of guidebooks, tools, policy briefs and development documents.
- Spearhead preparations of regular knowledge products, including but not limited to websites, publications, pamhlets, analysis, to document evolving knowledge on NDC implementation nationally, regionally and globally;
- Prepare regular concise and results-oriented progress report every six months;
- Assist with organizing and promoting learning and knowledge events at the national and subnational levels in coordination with other key partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrates comprehensive project management knowledge in development context.
- Have a clear understanding of Kenya’s NDC key requirements towards its successful implementation and reporting, including the transparency frameworks under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Chnage, with specific emphasis on the GHG inventory, the Measurement Reporting and Verification (MRV), among others.
- Demonstrated experience in promoting access to innovative climate finance both at national and local/grass root levels as guided by the relevant articles of the Kyoto Protocol, the UNFCCC and the Paris Agreement.
- Substantive experience in planning and implementation of climate change mitigation and/or adaptation, environment and/or sustainable development projects, with clear gender integration.
- Strong understanding of the dynamic nexus between climate change and poverty, as well as climate change and gender issues, and how it impacts on Kenya’s sustainable development goals.
- Demonstrated experience working on policy and programmatic issues with national and local governments and civil society organizations.
- Experience or strong familiarity with the multilateral, bilateral and civil society development partners.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender Perspectives.
- Exellent project implementation, coordination and related document drafting skills.
- Strrong presentation skills and ability to work with diverse population.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in metting committements, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persoistence when faced with difficult problemns or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an independent manner.
- Establishes and maintains productive patnerships with relevant stakeholders ; identifies needs to develop and impliment legal, policy and other responses relevant to the sector.
- Develops mechanism for engaging the sponsors on creating visibility on chanievements and effectively utilizeing the media and communications team.
- Have demonstrable work experience with private sector, including engaging private entities to front environment/climate change agenda, specifically unlocking the private sector finance in energy, agriculture, forestry and other strategic sectors for Kenya’s NDC implementation.
- Meets timmelines for delevery of technical assistance and other services and products.
- Ability to leverage on the UNDP comparative advantage and mobilize resources and strategic patnerships.
- Ability to develop clear objectives in accordance with agreed upon strategies.
- Identifies Tasks and activities that have to be dealt with as a matter of priuority ; to adjust priorities if required.
- Anticipates risks and adopt corrective measures in the course of planning and executing activities.
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Work experience of at least 4 years in climate change programming
- Demonstrated familiarity with Kenya’s NDC key requirements.
- Experience in planning and implementation of climate change mitigation and/or adaptation, environment and/or sustainable development projects.
- Experience in working on policy and programmatic issues with national and local governments and civil society.
- Familiarity with multilateral, bilateral and/or civil society development partners.
- Experience mplementing project with the UN and/or Government.
- Experience in producing reports in English
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 8 Months with possibility of extension subject to funding and performance