COVID-19 and the resulting health risks, economic hardships and school closures are overwhelming families around the world. Countries worldwide have closed public schools to prevent the spread of the disease. As of mid-May a total of 1.2 billion students – almost 70% of all schoolchildren – are out of school for the foreseeable future. Children who are unable to access the predictable, supportive routines of school not only miss opportunities to learn and build social-emotional skills, they are less likely to re-enroll when schools reopen and more likely to remain out of school forever. Research shows that learning through play is not only vital for children’s healthy cognitive and emotional development but also can help build their resilience in coping with stress and adversity. The IRC’s world-class educational content designed for crisis settings, and teams of thousands of education experts in 20 countries are poised to disseminate life-saving messages and support children’s and caregivers’ learning and wellbeing during this crisis.
While there is a proliferation of learning and parent support in high-resource communities in the US and Europe, there are several critical gaps in crisis affected contexts: (1) remote learning and support content for communities with limited internet connectivity, and in many languages and cultural contexts; and (2) easy to use, modular content for caregivers to support their and their children’s social-emotional wellbeing.
In response, the IRC has launched the a new multi-country initiative to design and deliver play-based social-emotional learning through radio or other audio platforms to children and families; as well as tips and support to parents through mobile or, if safe, in-person delivery platforms.
The Project Coordinator role is responsible for project planning and tracking, coordination of internal and external stakeholders and carrying out administrative tasks associated with this new initiative. This is a challenging position which requires strong organization skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well in a distributed, multicultural environment. The initiative is beginning immediately and will continue for at least 12 months. The Project Coordinator will manage tasks, inputs and processes associated with the design and execution of the audio strategy.
The role reports into the Education Technical Unit and will be focused on supporting a technical team and country programs initiating audio programming.
- Project planning and management: Complete project planning and scheduling, from the high-level planning phase to detailed short-term activity scheduling. Initiate and complete planning and scheduling for global-level implementation period activities.
- Contracting and partner management: Support identification and contracting, including managing RFP processes as needed, for script writers, talent, designers, producers and others required to design and deliver audio programming across multiple contexts.
- Support grants coordinator (education TU) to manage inception period budgets, track expenditure and maintain accurate projections.
- Project Communications: Ensure that project communications are timely, relevant and accurate, including regular status updates.
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders across globally distributed business units, and coordinate stakeholder communications.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least 4 years of progressive experience as a project coordinator or project manager
- Excellent speaking, writing and facilitation skills in English; proficiency in French, Spanish or Arabic.
- Fluency or, ideally, experience working with technologies used for mass messaging, broadcast radio production and distribution/or other audio production and distribution.
- Experience in project managing large-scale, cross-functional projects
- Experience in establishing or facilitating governance processes
- Experience in using project management methodologies, templates, tools and processes
- Strong remote facilitation skills; and fluency with various digital communications and design platforms
- High level of proficiency with MS Office, documents management solutions and project management tools
Preferred Additional Requirements
- Knowledge of the education in emergencies sector
- Experience working in crisis-affected settings
- Budget management and reporting
- Remote/ work; ability to work EDT or UTC time zone