1. Organizational Context
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Country Representative and direct supervision of the Head of Programme, the Programme Specialist provides technical expertise and exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women Rwanda Country Office interventions on preventing violence against women and other contingent areas from women’s economic empowerment and normative framework which have a direct link with Ending Violence Against Women and Girls (EVAWG). The Programme Specialist - EVAWG will work in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women Regional office East and Southern Africa and HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under EVAWG portfolio.
UN Women Rwanda Country Office Strategic Note 2019-2023 focuses on two main strategic priorities: Women’s leadership and political participation in governance systems as well as Women’s empowerment through increased income security, decent work and economic autonomy. EVAWG cuts across both priority areas according to the Theory Of Change governing Country Programme. In that Context the Programme Specialist for EVAWG might at some points dive into other thematic areas for mainstream purposes to ensure that Violence Against Women and Girls in both private and public spaces is eradicated through all its drivers.
- Design and develop programme strategies in the area of EVAWG
- Design and formulate programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to EVAWG
- Provide technical inputs to inter-agency coordination on EVAWG
- Provide technical support to the Representative and the entire Senior Management Team on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed;
- Manage the implementation of the EVAWG programme
- Finalize the annual workplan and budget and manage their implementation;
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/project; ensure synergies with other teams;
- Ensure the timely submission of financial and narrative reports from the implementing partnesr;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Human Rights Based and Results Based Management;
- Work with implementing partners to plan and convene Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings, as needed.
- Lead technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Provide technical advice, tools and guidance to partners.
- Build and manage relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the EVAWG programme and address any technical bottlenecks;
- Work with partners to identify capacity gaps and provide/commission technical assistance, mentoring, training as needed.
- Ensure timely and quality monitoring and reporting on the programme
- Provide guidance and tools to ensure effective programme monitoring
- Organize regular field visits to monitor and report on programme implementation;
- Write quality quarterly reports and donor reports
- Provide substantive inputs to corporate and donor reporting in UN Women Rwanda as well as One UN reports as requested
- Manage the human and financial resources of the EVAWG programme
- Manage the programme budget and draft financial reports;
- Supervise, mentor and coach Programme Analysts, Associates and interns working directly under EVAWG portfolio and conduct their performance assessments;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
- Build partnerships and provide support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies for the Portfolio;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
- Lead programme advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to EVAWG;
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to EVAWG as necessary;
- Develop advocacy strategies and oversee their implementation;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned;
- Develop and implement a knowledge management strategy for the programme
111. Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality programme design and inputs to Strategic Note and Annual Work Plans.
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget and workplans, and in line with all UN Women operational rules and regulations, including security.
- Timely and quality monitoring and evaluation of programmes.
- Relations with partners and stakeholders.
- Quality reports and timely submission.
- Regular communication with other agencies and partners.
- Quality of advocacy and communication initiatives
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues.
- Creative Problem Solving.
- Effective Communication.
- Inclusive Collaboration.
- Stakeholder Engagement.
- Leading by Example
- Strong programme management (formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) skills.
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management.
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making.
- Strong knowledge of EVAWG Thematic area.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising and develop strategies.
- Strong leadership skills
V. Recruitment Qualifications:
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, economics or a related field is required
- A project/ programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Technical experience in gender mainstreaming and analysis and in EVAWG thematic area in particular;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset;
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension