Terms of Reference for the Program Manager
ARISE is a program to help eliminate and prevent child labor in targeted communities in Zambia by addressing social and economic factors that drive smallholder tobacco farmers to employ children in hazardous work. It is designed to promote access to quality education, raise awareness of child labor, social mobilization, and economic empowerment in tobacco-growing communities, and improve the relevant regulatory framework. The Program Manager will be based in Lusaka, Zambia with travels to Chipata (Eastern Province), and Kaoma (Western Province).
Reports to: ARISE Africa Regional Program Director
Supervises: Field Coordinators (Chipata and Kaoma), Finance and Administration Officer
Roles and Responsibilities
Program Management and Representation
- Manage all program activities in Zambia for ARISE III, including direction and supervision of overall program implementation; recruitment and supervision of staff and consultants; timely preparation and submission of Zambia reports; and preparation of work plans and tools for the Zambia program.
- Serve as the primary liaison in Zambia for Winrock with the ARISE donor/partner and the Zambian government.
- Manage partner NGOs and consultants on implementation, monitoring, reporting, and M&E issues.
- Provide technical assistance and support to ARISE Zambia consultants and partner NGOs in child labor/protection.
Staff management and Financial Oversight
- Manage the performance review process for ARISE III Zambia staff, working with staff to establish and meet personal performance objectives and developing performance improvement plans if necessary.
- Review ARISE Zambia financial reports and documents such as FOVs and wire requests before their submission to the Winrock Home Office/Regional Office.
- Manage project assets and oversee financial activity, including maintenance of internal control procedures to ensure that expenses are reasonable, allowable, and necessary and that project assets and premises are used for project activities.
Coordination and collaboration
- Participate in country-level Country Coordinating Committee (CCC) meetings and share reports and agenda with the Africa Regional Director.
- Establish strong collaborations and linkages with key line ministries such as of labor, education, agriculture, community development as well as with workers and employers' organizations
- Assess the achievement of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and work with the rest of the team members to design Quality Improvement (QI) strategies to address any observed shortfalls.
- Develop/review compliance and adherence to the ARISE program SOPs and mentoring matrix
- Ensure that the project is implemented as per the SOPs and where and when necessary make revisions to the SOPs.
- Working with the ARISE African Regional Director, design or adapt tools and training packages that build the capacity of ARISE beneficiaries and stakeholders.
Reporting and other tasks
- Lead the drafting and development of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Document success stories, best practices, and lessons learned and share them with the rest of the program team to facilitate continued improvement and impact.
- Prepare and deliver presentations during ARISE technical meetings outlining the progress on deliverables and their impact on child labor reduction/elimination.
- If called upon, and time permitting, support Winrock in new business initiatives that build upon the ARISE program and expand Winrock’s efforts in Zambia through the identification of consultants, competitor analysis, etc. in new business capture work or proposal meetings/assignments from time-to-time as deemed necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Advanced Degree in Social Sciences/Development Studies/Community Development/Education/ Extension/Rural Development or other related fields from accredited institutions of higher learning.
- More than 5 years progressive experience in a project management role with an I/NGO preferred.
- Experience with community led and centered programming on child protection/child labor focused projects preferred.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and passionate with the organization’s goals and structure.
- Self-starter, optimistic and a thought leader capable of inculcating a motivated team and appetite for results.