Under the guidance of the Team Leader, the Programme Assistant provides financial, operational and programmatic support in the execution of projects and programmes under the Governance and Capacity Development portfolio. This includes supporting the planning, management and monitoring of programmes and projects, managing financial and administrative, facilitating regular project monitoring and field missions, and managing contractual matters.
The Programme Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations, and as such will be required to regularly laisse with UNDP partners. He/she also works in close collaboration the Programme Assistant and Programme Associate, with Unit members and with the other units in Programmes and Operations, project teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for addressing programme-related issues and information delivery.
1. Effective support to management of the Unit programmes/projects in the areas assigned:
- Preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, operational and financial closure of projects under her/his portfolio;
- In collaboration with the Programme Assistant and Programme Associate, compile regular reports (pie charts, graphs, etc.) on programme delivery and resource allocation to facilitate the M&E coordination;
- Monitor programme/project reporting requirements and liaise with programme managers for the necessary and timely action;
- Follow up and tracking of programme/project resources and disbursement under own portfolio so as to properly manage resources;
- Upload documents while opening and closing projects applying the necessary steps and per the guidelines;
- Regularly liaising with IPs to ensure effective communication and delivery of the projects;
- Ensuring reversals are done through APJV and GL to amend incorrect entries and mismatches.
2. Provides administrative support to the programmes and projects under portfolio and the Unit:
- Overall workshop, organization including payment of DSA to participants and timely settlement, hotel booking and follow up of timely payments to service providers.
- Facilitate travel request and travel expense settlement in ATLAS.
- Preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects, requisitions for development projects;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system including timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, issue receipt for payment of services equipment;
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
- Verification of direct payment requests against the annual work plan and the budget, based on verification checklist;
- Initiation of PROMPT for procurement of services and equipment with adequate supporting document;
- Support in arranging meetings with partners, workshops, seminars, filed monitoring visits and review missions;
- Facilitate travel arrangements for Unit members (including issuance/follow up of Security Clearance;
- Facilitate travel arrangement for partners, as and when required.
3. Knowledge management:
- Take all online mandatory corporate trainings;
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme;
4. Other tasks that may be required:
- Replace Programme Assistant and Programme Associate during her absence of leave;
- Replenishing of stationary items of the Unit as and when required;
- Reporting of problems to General Service & IT with regards Office equipment and utilities like, printer, water dispenser, shelves, drawers, lights etc.
- Any other assignments as requested by the Team Leader.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 1: Takes responsibility for and ensures high quality of own work
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 1: Understands personal and team roles, responsibilities and objectives
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Level 2: Understands, explains and shares information on assigned tasks with accuracy and clarity
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgment
Level 2: Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services;
Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop)
Execute & Learn:
Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
Implement & Manage:
Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Apply & Adapt:
Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Bachelor Degree Business Administration or related social science disciplines
- 2 years of relevant project management and administrative experience in International Organization, most preferably in the UN is required;
- Excellent knowledge of computer office software applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.);
- Knowledge of analyzing spreadsheet and database packages like pivot table;
- Experience in handling web based management system in the area of programme/projects.
- Fluency in oral and written English and national language of the duty station;
- Other official language of the UN will be an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year with a possibility of extension