Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world. We analyze challenges to freedom, advocate for greater political rights and civil liberties, and support frontline activists to defend human rights and promote democratic change. We recognize that freedom is possible only in democratic political environments where governments are accountable to their own people; the rule of law prevails; and freedoms of expression, association, and belief, as well the rights of minorities and women, are guaranteed.
Our highly regarded analytic reports include Freedom in the World, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With numerous field offices and two US offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House is seeking a full-time Office Manager with excellent organizational skills to be a strong and reliable support to the Research and Analysis division in New York City. The Office Manager will operate as the first point of contact for general inquiries to the New York office and will be responsible for various administrative duties, including reconciling business expenses and coordinating travel logistics. Previous experience as a front office manager, office administrator, or administrative assistant would be an advantage. The ideal Office Manager is a motivated self-starter who has a demonstrated interest in providing essential administrative support to a mission-driven organization.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Exceptional organization and planning skills combined with an assiduous attention to detail
- Strong time-management and people skills
- Proven ability to learn quickly, multitask, and work with limited supervision, finding solutions to problems as they arise, and taking ownership of assigned work
- An ability to produce error-free work on tight deadlines
- An ability to handle confidential information
- An appreciation for how one’s day-to-day work supports an institutional mission
- At least 1-2 years of experience in an office management or administration role
- Advanced computer skills and experience with new online platforms
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and an aptitude to learn new software and systems
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without restrictions
Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent Freedom House New York office at the front desk and in general email and phone correspondences
- Oversee office efficiency by maintaining appearance of common areas, preparing conference rooms for meetings, identifying and fulfilling office supply needs
- Reconcile petty cash, monthly credit card bills, and business expense reports
- Prepare contracts and payment requests and liaise with accounting staff to ensure timely payments to external consultants
- Assist with event planning, providing administrative assistance in booking domestic and international travel, catering, and accommodations
- Manage all aspects of the office’s space and infrastructure, such as changes to workstations, serving as the main point of contact with building personnel, and providing answers, resources, and solutions to office issues as they arise
- Act as a liaison for IT troubleshooting and office equipment setup
- Coordinate with Human Resources staff to assist with new employee/intern on-boarding and sure the timely distribution and collection of various new-hire paperwork
- Maintain kitchen area daily and stock kitchen supplies
- Coordinate office and team events, such as the annual holiday party
- Provide research assistance on ad hoc tasks
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Qualified candidates must submit a resume and a cover letter with desired salary, in PDF format, through Taleo. Applicants who fail to meet these criteria will not be considered.
Qualified candidates will be invited to an interview process in early to mid-February.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.