Desired start date: 01/03/2020
Duration of the mission: 12 months
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI opened its mission in Nigeria in August 2016, establishing its coordination in Maiduguri. With the support of the Emergency DESK, SI mission was able to quickly acquire operational capacity, which was first deployed in Borno State, for implementation of WASH and Food Security Programming. Over the course of 2017-2018, SI expanded the geographical scope of its intervention, and established presence in Monguno, Ngala and Dikwa. The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is addressing the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State with a specific expertise in WASH, Food Security and Livelihood (FSL), Shelter and response to AWD/Cholera outbreaks.
For the year 2020; the mission has a forecasted budget of more than 11M €. The mission operates from Abuja (liaison office) Maiduguri, where the coordination is based, and from 4 operational field bases located in Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala and Dikwa. The mission is composed of about 20 expatriates and more than 200 national staffs and is currently funded by Europaid, ECHO, OFDA, CDC and the UN (NHF, WFP).
ABOUT THE JOB
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Country Director for an area within the country in which Solidarités International intervenes.
He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
He/she is responsible for the coordination with local actors including UN, local actors (NGOs, Authorities) and INGOs.
He/she is in charge of supervising partnerships with local NGOs (contractual management, capacity building, coordination)
He/she is the Country Director’s direct contact and representative.
- Coordination and strategic orientation
- Relevance and operational quality / operation monitoring
- Resource management
- Collaboration and coordination
- Human resource management
- Security management
- Context analysis
- Financial backer relations / search for funding
- Internal and external communication
- Representation and coordination
ORG CHART POSITION (REPORTING AND FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS)
Line manager: Country Director
Line report(s) on base: 4 people (direct management)
The main challenges of the position:
- Management: The team is composed by
- 1 log manager (national)
- 1 admin manager (national)
- 1 WASH PM (expatriate
- 1 Warehouse PM (national )
- 1 Field Coordinator Assistant (national)
- Context monitoring: The context in the area has deteriorated in the last months, and the security situation has worsened. Activities outside of the city can’t be implemented any more, and traveling by road to the city is not possible anymore. there is little vision on what is happening outside Monguno so it is complex to predict the upcoming evolutions in terms of humanitarian needs, the Field Coordinator will have to develop a deep understanding of local dynamics
- Partners: the main partners are the NGOs of the consortium projects and WFP in Monguno (mainly ALIMA , WFP and NGO using the common warehouse)
- Context: The specificity and difficulty of the context implies challenges in the carry on of the daily logistics activitie
- Contractors: SI’s activities are sometimes requiring strong technical skills and heavy machinery (borehole drillings…). Thus, SI has to rely on contractors to conduct those works which should be very closely monitored
- 5 years of professional humanitarian experience, including a minimum of 2 years at a similar position (at least 1 year international position)
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts and insecure environments
- Previous experience in Wash activities
- Previous experience of project management in NGO / humanitarian fields
- Previous experience in report and proposal writing
- Experience of team management and capacity building
- Knowledge of HR, budget and logistics management
- Good communication and diplomatic skills
- Good organization skills
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Strong capacity to take initiatives
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read), essential for writing proposals and reports and for external coordination and representation meetings with other NGOs, UN agencies, donors and governmental bodies.
- Patience, autonomy, flexibility and the ability to adapt are indispensable skills.
- Good computer skills
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: according to experience from 2860 euros gross per month (2600 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem: 600 USD / month.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
The Field Coordinator lives in SI compound with the other international staff. He/she has private room and shares the bathroom and the kitchen. The GH is next to the office and located in a residential area. Regular visit in Maiduguri are organized to ensure a smooth communication with the coordination team.