- CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position:
- The Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC) (under WASH unit) & the Community Stabilization (CS) programming of the Transition & Recovery (TRU) (under RDS unit) are working together to reduce the impacts of environmental degradation & climate change on conflict & displacement in Somalia. To promote community stabilization efforts, the CS - TRU unit is implementing activities based on participatory processes that promote intra & inter community cohesion, peace & ownership. With the purpose of mainstreaming environment / climate change in community stabilization efforts, the MECC & CS - TRU units require a National Program Officer (MECC) to support the design & implementation of climate change & environment interventions in the target areas.
- Under the direct supervision of the Migration, Environment & Climate Change (MECC) Program Officer & the overall supervision of the WASH Program Manager in coordination with CS Program Manager, the National Project Officer will provide technical support & implement projects related to migration, environment & climate change in Somalia. To oversee the implementation of the project activities in Somalia. The National Program Officer will carry out the duties in close coordination with other our clients staff in country.
- Act as a resource person for migration, environment & climate change, including climate analysis, resource mapping & climate smart livelihoods.
- Support the technical assessments & community consultations with field visits for community based climate change adaptation planning.
Stakeholder engagement & collaboration:
- In collaboration with MECC Officer, design & implement capacity building activities on migration, environment, climate change & climate security for various stakeholders including CS team, govt., CSOs & communities.
- Build & strengthen effective cooperation relations with key national counterparts (govt., communities & CSO's).
- Engage & maintain direct dialogue with national authorities to support the implementation of activities, including diverse govt. departments with responsibilities on migration, climate change, disaster risk management & organize govt. meetings on the topic.ollaboration with MECC Officer, design, plan, mainstream, implement, M&E of project activities, in accordance with the work plans & courses of action established in the project documents.
- Maintain continuous dialogue & information sharing to the MECC Program Officer & CS Program Manager on the progress of actions, the identified issues & solutions taken.
- Draft activity level concept notes, proposals & reports on MECC / CS activities as well as provide inputs needed for donor reporting, M&E & communications.
- Liaise & work with RMU for all procurement, logistics & finance related work linked to the MECC / CS activity.
- Contribute to knowledge management processes as well as the organization & maintenance of files.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- This role will worl under the direct supervision of the Migration, Environment & Climate Change (MECC) Program Officer & the overall supervision of the WASH Program Manager in coordination with CS Program Manager.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Agriculture, Environmental studies, Urban & Rural Development, or other field relevant to International Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution or Bachelor’s Degree in the same fields with minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional experience in designing & implementing multi faceted & sectoral climate change adaptation / disaster risk reduction or livelihoods programs in arid & semi arid areas.
- Experience working for an INGO or UN agency.
- Experience with international humanitarian organizations, NGO's or govt. institutions / organizations in a multi cultural setting.
- Experience coordinating with different stakeholders for the implementation of migration, environment & climate change activities.
- Experience in Somalia, Africa is essential.
- Must be fluent in both English & Somali (oral & written).
- Working knowledge of other Somali dialect spoken in other regions of Somalia.
- Excellent work planning & project implementation skills.
- Good communication skills & excellent ability to coordinate across multiple units & organizations.
- Understanding of migration, security & climate change vulnerability & ability to link analysis to program design & implementation, in the context of our clients programs.
- Excellent skills in word processing, power point, excel & data analysis.
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations & procedures governing administration, is considered an advantage.
- Respects, promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
- Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
- Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example & demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision, assists others to realize & develop their potential.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.